Is this crack bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tg27

Feb 16, 2020
USA
I woke up to a bummer of a Christmas Eve present this morning--what appears to be a crack in the backplate of my stove. I already had some kindling burning, so I proceeded with making my fire, but I guess my primary question is: is this safe to use?

Secondary question: will this be repairable or can I replace the backplate? (It's an older Jotul Firelight).

tempImageXJMzRc.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

My non expert opinion- if you need the heat, run it and monitor situation while you seek out a fix for it. Not sure if that crack will cause air to be pulled in causing an uncontrollable fire. I could be way off here, but that I what I might try after chatting with other family members about it.

Last edited:
I woke up to a bummer of a Christmas Eve present this morning--what appears to be a crack in the backplate of my stove. I already had some kindling burning, so I proceeded with making my fire, but I guess my primary question is: is this safe to use?

Secondary question: will this be repairable or can I replace the backplate? (It's an older Jotul Firelight).

View attachment 306070

View attachment 306069
Yes you can run it as is but it's going to get worse. It is going to need replaced. Probably along with a lot of other parts knowing those stoves. I would think long and hard about whether it's worth putting the money into that stove.

Yes you can run it as is but it's going to get worse. It is going to need replaced. Probably a long with allot of other parts knowing those stoves. I would think long and hard about whether it's worth putting the money into that stove.
Yeah, that's always what I'm kind of scared of with that thing. We bought the house a few years ago, and plan to live here for the long haul. Figured it'd be worth investing in something new. Just want to do it on my schedule!

Reactions: bholler