Is this flame Harman P61A flame too high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IrishMountain

Oct 30, 2021
South Eastern Pennsylvania
I’m running AWF premium white pine softwood pellets in my P61A set to feed rate of 4 and when it gets a call for more heat from the thermostat the flame is basically bouncing off of the heat exchanger. Is this inefficient? Should I back the feed rate down.? This is my first season running a pellet stove so just trying to get it finely tuned. Thanks!

44D9FE53-F423-4F91-9504-22DFAAFB13A7.jpeg

Reactions: Washed-Up
I have a P68, when calling heavy for heat it will often do that, I see it most of the time on start-up. Mine is a basement dweller and I run it in stove mode consistently, so definitely different set-up and use than you have. But if I go down right now and crank it up in stove mode it will respond like the picture within a few minutes.

I am sure someone will chime in that uses their stove like yours in temp mode.

BTW I burn hardwoods not softwoods, only thing available around me.

I have a P68, when calling heavy for heat it will often do that, I see it most of the time on start-up. Mine is a basement dweller and I run it in stove mode consistently, so definitely different set-up and use than you have. But if I go down right now and crank it up in stove mode it will respond like the picture within a few minutes.

I am sure someone will chime in that uses their stove like yours in temp mode.

BTW I burn hardwoods not softwoods, only thing available around me.
Thanks for the response. Mine is the same way on startup so it sounds like it somewhat normal. I may try backing it down to 3 on the feed rate and see what happens. It’s a bit confusing between the manual recommending a feed rate of 4 and the sticker on the stove recommending 3. It is an older P61A from 2003 so that may be the reason for the difference between the sticker and the manual.

I've seen it that high on mine too. I keep the feed rate set at 2.5. At 4 mine is over feeding.

What were your symptoms of over feeding? I’m new to this and can’t really tell. Seems to run good but flame is just big when it’s heating up.
When the feed rate is set too high it will push more pellets into the burn pot. Unburned or partially burned pellets will land in the ash pan. It's better to run it at a lower feed rate and keep the pellets burning hotter in the back of the burn pot.

Reactions: IrishMountain
Looks the same as mine with any pellet I’ve run through it. Nice n healthy IMHO

Reactions: IrishMountain
The flame is fine as far as height for startup, or increased temperature demand, but it looks pretty lazy to me. Maybe it's just because fire looks weird in a photo. Have you cleaned the stove and pipe lately?

Don't lower your feed rate unless it's dumping unburned pellets into the ash pan. The stove will adjust the pellet feed based on temperature demand, UP TO the number you choose. If you lower the feed rate, you're not accomplishing anything except handcuffing the stove, and making it take longer to get to temperature. The default for my stove is a 4, and that's where I leave it with no issues. 90% of the time it runs at a trickle in room temp manual.