is this Hickory or Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Shoot, C.S.&S.'d a CRV load of this yesterday (July 16) in 96% humidity. I originally thought i scored some hickory at the municipal dump site as i just took a quick look at the leaves. I've not cut any hickory here but just found out we do have pignut hickory around. I was all fired up to try hickory, but now i think this is ash. I'm pretty sure as i look at the color of the wood and took a closer look at the leaves. I had to be fast as the town usually trucks out the wood 1 day after it's been dumped. It split ok, Not as easy as oak. It was also lighter than oak.

DC53A469-47FA-40FC-A42A-9503D9F6E3E2.jpeg 1EE4DD1A-0887-4D8F-9E32-A129FEB0BD73.jpeg FFF4B967-CE63-4A70-A45A-90287EC86478.jpeg 761264A6-36D6-4EE5-94DF-241186C063E5.jpeg 3EAF5BC6-382D-47A8-97B0-1B300CEE6FB4.jpeg 3A4E3FF3-5AA4-4379-9AB3-93AF59E7ECF5.jpeg

Yeah, oh well, still ok. Now i have to relook at all these trees around that i thought were hickory. Many are probably ash. Do all the common hickory trees have nuts? Thanks

Yeah, oh well, still ok. Now i have to relook at all these trees around that i thought were hickory. Many are probably ash. Do all the common hickory trees have nuts? Thanks
im not sure if they all have nuts or not honestly. you should be able to tell by the bark if its a hickory or an ash. everything about a hickory is rock hard! i know when i cut them on the processor the bark is hard, the wood is hard, the sawdust feels like rocks hitting you haha

the hickory logs i cut usually have like a purple-ish color in the heart wood

im not sure if they all have nuts or not honestly. you should be able to tell by the bark if its a hickory or an ash. everything about a hickory is rock hard! i know when i cut them on the processor the bark is hard, the wood is hard, the sawdust feels like rocks hitting you haha

the hickory logs i cut usually have like a purple-ish color in the heart wood
Ok thanks, still looking for my 1st hickory to burn. After 20+ years of burning you would think I'd have come across some. Perhaps i have and never realized it. I'm now mostly all oak and take passes on wood that's not. Some locust and cherry make their way in but not much anymore. I do get ash sometimes but not enough to really know it immediately. Got to sharpen up the I.D. skills!

burn a thin chip for a smell test. that split looks awful clean for hickory which is pretty stringy. so leaning towards some type of ash and the leaves look opposite each other like ash

burn a thin chip for a smell test. that split looks awful clean for hickory which is pretty stringy. so leaning towards some type of ash and the leaves look opposite each other like ash
Yeah i zoomed in on the edges of the leaves and they match the white ash. Also the diamond pattern on the bark is a match to white ash. Split tougher than oak. I'm not sure but i think hickory splits similar to oak? And the somewhat lighter weight than oak puts this in 95% sure it's white ash. Still a good score, just want to get some hickory so i know how to recognize it quickly.

Depending on conditions Hickory can be as nasty to split as American elm.

Depending on conditions Hickory can be as nasty to split as American elm.
Oh interesting, somehow i thought it's characteristics are similar to oak.

This is what the hickory I get looks like split.

hickory_woodbutcher.jpg

Starting to lose interest in hickory now. The top priority for me is a hardwood's ease of splitting as i'm hand splitting everything. That stringy hickory looks problematic.

Definitely ash. Ash has opposite branching habit/ hickory alternate branch habit.

I've split hickory (bitternut) that was easy splitting (fairly easy even though stringy) but some was really tough. The tough stuff was from tree with heavy borer wound response.
Ash usually easy for me to split, but recall wood from an open-grown tree particularly tough going.

Reactions: bigealta
It was also lighter than oak.
Ash has a lot lower moisture content than oak, and it will probably be usable this winter, if not then next for sure! Try that with oak!
Hickory is still worth any potential headaches with splitting IME...

Ash has a lot lower moisture content than oak, and it will probably be usable this winter, if not then next for sure! Try that with oak!
Hickory is still worth any potential headaches with splitting IME...
Yep, I'm working on late 2 year and 3 year stack building so i've got the time at this point to wait. That said i won't turn down easy splitting ash. The lighter weight does make it nicer to deal with loading in the CRV..

The one pic with the stringy wood says Hickory to me. Also, ash is easy to split where hickory is hard to split.
When you stack it, keep an eye on it. If, in six weeks the wood is covered with fine powdery "sawdust" from bark beetles then it is hickory.

The second pic shows that the branches are across from each other. So that makes it Ash. Hickory has alternate branching.