Is this Morso stove repairable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

david hamilton

Dec 22, 2022
Fairview, NC
I was given a Morso stove with a small crack on the top. Also some damage on the inside. Wondering if it's feasible to repair or if I should get a new woodstove.

Thank you for any info.
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image5-jpeg.305853

Looks like a 2110. It's a fine little stove and a good heater but someone has really abused this one. It may not return to good service without considerable expense. At that point a new stove starts to make economic sense.

Looks like that stove has been fed a few too many habanero peppers.

If you have a welder I think this thing could be refurbished into working condition for relatively low cost. Looks to me like some cracks need welding, all doors and joints need new rope seal, and a new flame baffle is required. Is there something else we're not seeing in the photos?

Looks like that stove has been fed a few too many habanero peppers.

If you have a welder I think this thing could be refurbished into working condition for relatively low cost. Looks to me like some cracks need welding, all doors and joints need new rope seal, and a new flame baffle is required. Is there something else we're not seeing in the photos?
It's a cast iron stove to fix it properly it needs at minimum a new top all new internals and a complete rebuild. And it is very likely due to the clear abuse the stove has received that there are other parts of the body warped or otherwise damaged. It just isn't worth the time or money needed to fix it

Reactions: mdocod
It's a cast iron stove to fix it properly it needs at minimum a new top all new internals and a complete rebuild. And it is very likely due to the clear abuse the stove has received that there are other parts of the body warped or otherwise damaged. It just isn't worth the time or money needed to fix it
Probably true...

It's not a structural thing so the less than ideal welding options for cast iron would probably work to "fix" the pieces of this stove that are cracked to return the stove to having functional air control. It wouldn't be pretty when done but it could probably be brought back into working order without replacing hardly any "hard parts." (I would consider baffles, seals, glass, firebrick/liner to be soft/consumables on a wood stove)

That said... time is money... If it could be repaired in a days labor for a few hundred bucks worth of material it might be worth it to some folks.

Probably true...

It's not a structural thing so the less than ideal welding options for cast iron would probably work to "fix" the pieces of this stove that are cracked to return the stove to having functional air control. It wouldn't be pretty when done but it could probably be brought back into working order without replacing hardly any "hard parts." (I would consider baffles, seals, glass, firebrick/liner to be soft/consumables on a wood stove)

That said... time is money... If it could be repaired in a days labor for a few hundred bucks worth of material it might be worth it to some folks.
All of those internals are way more than a few hundred bucks.

And that large of a crack in the top of a stove is absolutely structural. I wouldn't even recommend welding that large of a crack in that area on a steel stove. I just wouldn't trust that the rest of the metal is still in good condition