Is this Northern Red Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trueg50

Dec 19, 2014
VT
I recently purchased a new property and there is a good bit of blow down just begging to be taken away. Lacking leaves or buds I'm trying to verify if this is a red oak or not as there are a number large trees of this type down. The area is predominantly oak/maple and the bottom of the tree looks like a red oak, but towards the top it smooths out kind of like a poplar (though without the color/dots). The bark is grey with deep cracks towards the bottom and at the top it looks like the cracks get shallower and bark smoother. In the pictures it is the large bottom log.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200426_091612.jpg
    20200426_091612.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 20200426_091718.jpg
    20200426_091718.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200426_091706.jpg
    20200426_091706.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: D8Chumley
I also think I'm seeing red oak and a bit of red maple.

Red oak is my favorite.

I agree you have mix of red oak and maple

Oak leafs on the ground right next to it, so at least some of it likely is

+1 on the red oak, like hickoryhoarder it's my favorite. Been getting a lot of it from the old family farm in PA that was selectively logged 4-5 years back with all the tops left behind in perfectly sized diameters for me to cut and lug to the little Toy truck. They liked the 36-48" diameter logs, I love the 10-15" diameter "trash" left behind. Also, am I in the minority in that I get OCD about getting the bark off the oak ASAP so it dries faster and minimizes rot in the heartwood?

Thanks folks, glad to hear these are good firewood logs and worth the time.

It is strange, a few years ago the prior owner had loggers come in to clean up a lot of softwood blowdown and some hardwoods. I found this stack maybe 50 yards off the main logging road just sitting there like they forgot about it.