Is this old fisher safe to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CrunchyDad

Sep 14, 2022
Ashe County, NC
Hey y’all,

My wife and I recently moved to a new place that came with as far as I can tell a gen 1 fisher Mama Bear. I think the previous owners used it, since they left a decent sized wood pile.

Is there anything I should be aware of with this mama Bear? Is it safe to use?

C59CFFDB-B3FC-47D8-82E7-512727326852.jpeg

The inside looks like all the firebrick is been busted out. I might need to replace that.

ACE6D880-A582-4AA6-B623-4A5358C68B47.jpeg

Hey y’all,

My wife and I recently moved to a new place that came with as far as I can tell a gen 1 fisher Mama Bear. I think the previous owners used it, since they left a decent sized wood pile.

Is there anything I should be aware of with this mama Bear? Is it safe to use?

View attachment 299267

The inside looks like all the firebrick is been busted out. I might need to replace that.

View attachment 299268
The stove looks fine other than needing some bricks. But hearth protection and clearances to combustibles don't look adequate. And we can't tell anything about the chimney

Reactions: CrunchyDad
The stove looks fine other than needing some bricks. But hearth protection and clearances to combustibles don't look adequate. And we can't tell anything about the chimney
Agreed. I had an inspector come out. He said that the clearance was ok , and swept the chimney. Same recommendation of replacing the fire brick.

Agreed. I had an inspector come out. He said that the clearance was ok , and swept the chimney. Same recommendation of replacing the fire brick.
The stove has 36" to any combustible materials and the hearth protection is 18" past the stove all the way around?

That furniture there will certainly discolor, produce fumes from the glue, and if you're lucky, get black. The Fisher can radiate a ton of heat. Hence the 36" clearance.

That furniture there will certainly discolor, produce fumes from the glue, and if you're lucky, get black. The Fisher can radiate a ton of heat. Hence the 36" clearance.
I am assuming that cabinet was just there temporarily

Reactions: stoveliker
ah, that may explain why it appears empty :)

No way that floor protection is large enough. What material is it made of?

Reactions: bholler