Isle Royale Glass Cracked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I have a Quadra-Fire Isle Royale purchased in 2010. It has been doing well. A few days ago I cleaned out the ashes in the morning when the stove was cold. There was some soot on the door glass. I cleaned the glass by using a damp paper towel dipped in ashes. I then used a clean paper towel with a small amount of water to do the final cleaning. As soon as I touched the towel to the glass, I heard a loud pop and found a crack developed in the glass (see photo).

I had used very little pressure on the glass. I wondered if the glass was warm, but no it measured 71 deg F. The fire would burned out not long after midnight, and my cleaning was about 9am..

Since I bought the stove, I never replaced the original door-glass gaskets or adjusted the screws on the clips holding the glass in.

I have a new glass and 1/4" gasket arriving soon. My question is do you have any advice on replacing the glass - especially how to adjust the torque on the screws holding the glass clips in place.

PaulF

Attachments

• IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 112
Bummer. There are good directions on page 29 of the manual for replacing the glass. Don't overtighten. Just snug up the clips until the glass does not move.