Isle Royale owners - Do you get these airstreams?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
So, I've been using My Isle Royale for close to 2 seasons now, And have yet to get much more than 6 hours burn out of it. The heat it throws is just fine. I have 35' of liner going up through an interior masonry chimney, so I get some serious draft. I'll be installing a pipe damper, but I called to the Preston Trading post and asked if they had any, and they said they had only 4 in stock. I went less than an hour later and there were none in stock, so I missed out.

Over the past week or so, however, I've started noticing that I get air streams coming in to the stove when running wide open or damped down, coming in from where the firebox drops from 23" to 18" wide, from between the firebrick and the retaining cast iron. I've posted a pic showing exactly where these come in. Do any other IR owners get these, or do I need to take my heat shield off and do a thorough inspection for cracked cast? The stove doesn't run away on me, so I'm hesitant to think it's any major air leak.

Attachments

• airstreams.jpg
    airstreams.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 300
Airstreams??? Do you mean that you can see air infiltrating at those points and its affecting the fire??

Just trying to clarify, but doesn't really matter, cuz to answer your question: No! Ain't never seen or heard of such a thing.

Me either, but I'm not sure I'd know an airstream unless it I saw increased flames in that area or something, which I haven't.
In fact, the back of my firebox is where I have coaling if anywhere. It has the least air action from my observation.

Studied the fire real hard for ya last night. Did not notice any indication that air was coming in at the seam your referencing.

Thanks for taking a look, guys. I can definitely tell that some air is spraying on the fire from right there. I do see some lighting off right there on a low burn, and I see the flames moving more rapidly right where the air sprays on them on a high burn.

karri0n said:
Thanks for taking a look, guys. I can definitely tell that some air is spraying on the fire from right there. I do see some lighting off right there on a low burn, and I see the flames moving more rapidly right where the air sprays on them on a high burn.

Hmm...doesn't sound right to me.

My setup is also a draft monster, so it might be a place where there is a small amount of air, but you guys wouldn't notice if your draft isn't quite as high as mine. Somehow all the stove suppliers in my area are out of pipe dampers, but I'll be adding one soon, and I'm going to do a thorough inspection of the entire stove body in the next few days to be certain I'm not getting infiltration somewhere.

Thanks for your input.

karri0n said:
My setup is also a draft monster, so it might be a place where there is a small amount of air, but you guys wouldn't notice if your draft isn't quite as high as mine. Somehow all the stove suppliers in my area are out of pipe dampers, but I'll be adding one soon, and I'm going to do a thorough inspection of the entire stove body in the next few days to be certain I'm not getting infiltration somewhere.

Thanks for your input.

I saw dampers at the local Fleet Farm last week. You may have the same or similar home improvement store with stove section.

That unit is a true cast unit. You could have some joints someplace that need to be re-cemented if its worn out or was never done that good in the first place.

karri0n I wouldn't mind those airstreams... burn up some of those black charcoals I'm always raking forward. You may have a good thing going and not even know it.

jtp10181 said:
That unit is a true cast unit. You could have some joints someplace that need to be re-cemented if its worn out or was never done that good in the first place.

As Always jtp - I think your on to something.

savageactor7 said:
karri0n I wouldn't mind those airstreams... burn up some of those black charcoals I'm always raking forward. You may have a good thing going and not even know it.

I would agree if I could get more than 5 hours burn out of the thing...

JTP thanks for the insight. I'm definitely going to do a thorough inspection.

I would check ALL the gaskets also. One other trick I learned is you put foil under the ash grate for a test burn to see if it helps. If it does you are leaking air in the ash compartment someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.