Isolation Valves and Unions for New Pellet Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Is there a need to be able to isolate a boiler? Is it common/good practice? The piping will be copper, but the nipples on the boiler are iron. My oil boiler does not have unions. Although hopefully not, I can appreciate having the capability of moving the boiler after the fact (of installation).

Need? Hopefully one doesn't arise.

Common/good practice? Yes absolutely.

I have had a few times now that I valved my boiler (& storage) off when doing something relatively minor on another part of my system - I would hate to have to have done what I did with draining & refilling my boiler added in. It's an added expense no doubt, but one that at some point in time will likely be well worth it. I thought I went overkill on isolation valves when I did mine, but have since found a couple more spots I could have used them.

Our system is over 30 years old and over the years those isolation valves an unions have more than paid for themselves! Maintenance ,and technological ways of improving things come along from time to time!

Here's a screen shot of the basic piping layout we use on every boiler. Basic near boiler piping.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.