It Happens Every Year Around Here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
We just had our first day under fifty degrees all day. Walk outside and you hear fire engine sirens every where.

How many birds nests are burning down houses tonight? How many people just bought the house this year and didn't look at that chimney and just had to light a mood fire?

Some people will never learn

Hot ashes in the trash bag , ashes where there not supposed to be stored......

BrotherBart said:
We just had our first day under fifty degrees all day. Walk outside and you hear fire engine sirens every where.

How many birds nests are burning down houses tonight? How many people just bought the house this year and didn't look at that chimney and just had to light a mood fire?

How far are you from DC? It was in the high 30's in the day and teens at night in the DC area back in late Nov/early Dec. I recall because there was a big house fire visible from my back porch that night. Big flames from the roof. I never saw a news report on it, not sure if it was fireplace-related.

DiscoInferno said:
BrotherBart said:

How far are you from DC? It was in the high 30's in the day and teens at night in the DC area back in late Nov/early Dec. I recall because there was a big house fire visible from my back porch that night. Big flames from the roof. I never saw a news report on it, not sure if it was fireplace-related.

45 miles out in the sticks. In September and October they usually just turn up the thermostat. Out here when it stays around thirty or forty the stoves and fireplaces light off.

Roospike said:
ROO does this mean I can't store hot ashes in a paper bag in the hall closet anymore? Dam there goes that idea.LOL

earthharvester said:
Roospike said:
ROO does this mean I can't store hot ashes in a paper bag in the hall closet anymore? Dam there goes that idea.LOL

************** :zip:

Yeah , Sounds like that idea might be out.

Not in your hall closet any way.....Maybe the MIL's.....Ok, still not a good idea.

MrGriz said:
Not in your hall closet any way.....Maybe the MIL's.....Ok, still not a good idea.

Thats a great idea MrGriz thanks!!!!!!!

Careful, your MIL might still remember that burning bag of dog poop left on the front steps from a year ago. ;-)

About a week ago it was on the news in Milwaukee that a house in West Bend (a suburb) had burned down. Cause was specifically stated as fireplace ashes not disposed of properly. Announcer said something like "they thought the ashes were cooled, but they were not" so perhaps it WAS a case of hot ashes in a paper bag. Brief shot of totally destroyed smoldering house ruins. Must not happen too often, though, or my insurance would have gone up more when we had the woodstove put in (went up about $20/year.)

We just had our tenant around the corner install an old woodstove in an unattached shed without our prior approval. Told him he needed to get a building permit. Don't know if he failed the inspection, or just knew he would so didn't apply, but he grudgingly removed it after we delivered a stern letter. It was sitting on top of piled concrete blocks sitting on a sand floor over who knows what. No mortar or anything like that, just a couple blocks sitting on each other. Talk about unstable and dangerous. Mostly held in place by the stovepipe! It was also definitely too close to the wall. Thank goodness I happened to walk over on a day they were fixing up the shed, and some of his friends I had met before showed it off to me. They also help him split wood, so maybe I should recruit them to be my friends, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.