I've been slimed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
My P-handle dolly that I use to move rounds got a flat so I pulled out the tube and put a patch on it. After that it still had a slow leak but I could not find it with soapy water so I pulled off the patch and put a larger patch on. It still leaked and the slow leak has been getting faster so I put slime in the tube because I could not find a new tube. It didn't work. For some reason it leaks down fast when the tube is mounted but I can't find the leak when I dismount it and use soapy water.

I was getting frustrated with the damn tube so I took it off and overinflated it hoping to find the leak and the tube split wide open spraying me with green slime. ARGH!

OK. I am back up off the floor. Thanks for a great mental picture and a long hard laugh.

Get it all off of you quick, or you won't be able to leak anymore. :ahhh: Rick

No TSC up this way. I was looking at some solid tires when I couldn't find tubes. They wanted more than $16 each for them and they were bigger so I wasn't sure they would fit. A new same size tire/tube/rim was only $8.

I must have inhaled some slime cuz I can still smell it.

Ja, mine were $17 each and I didn't buy them the first time I went in the store but the next time my tires were soft it was a no brainer.Now I never have to deal with them again.
It was a hard bullet to bite since I had just bought a set of recap closeout tires for my S-10 a few weeks earlier for $12 each!

cozy heat said:
LMAO! Pics?
Sorry, no pics. I washed it all off real quick. Wasn't thinking, gee... what a Kodak moment.

It was a good thing I had safety glasses on as they took the brunt of the spray.

For some reason I'm picturing you looking like something out of Ghostbusters! ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
For some reason I'm picturing you looking like something out of Ghostbusters! ;) :)

Or "The Fly".

They make a foam that is sprayed inside the tire & hardens. Never need air or tube again.
But if you need to replace the tire at some point due to worn through, you'll need a new wheel & tire at that point.
Not sure how long it takes to wear out a dolly tire.

It's good that you're alright that could have been worse.

That's the best laugh I've had all day! Glad you're okay, really good thing you were wearing safety glasses - I don't s'pose slime is good for eyes.

Both of my hand-trucks have solid tires, but the tire on my wheelbarrow keeps losin' air - I wonder how a solid tire would affect the "handling" of a wheelbarrow.

Peace,
- Sequoia

There are tires available that are a foam core, give the cushioning effect of air inflated without the flat problems. I do not remember where I came across them, at the time I was trying to resolve another issue. there are different load ratings though.

Status
Not open for further replies.