I've got chainsaw troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeatlesrgood

Aug 7, 2008
Northern MA
i have a poulan 1950 le wood shark (thats my first problem :eek:hh:). ive had it about 5 years but up untill this year there was very little use on it maybe 5 hours. now there's probably about 30-40 hours on it. it was having trouble getting through wood. the blade couldnt get anymore than about 1/2 inch through and it would start smoking. so i tried sharpening... didnt work. then i bought a new blade and it still doesnt cut. the engine itself runs very strong, never had a problem in that respect. so the only thing i think it could be is the oiler. the oil kind of accumulates where the bar meets the body (not too bad) but it could be normal, ive never really paid attention to it before.

could the oiler being screwed up cause it to not cut like that or do you think its something entirely different?

i wanna thank you guys in advance. there are some really knowledgeable people on this forum and you guys always seem to pull though in the clutch.

Check the holes at the drive end of the bar and make sure they aren't clogged. If clogged with oily sawdust, the bar oil can't get to the bar/chain, and it won't cut worth a pee hole in the snow.

run it with out the chain on, if it runs good oiler pumps bad and what mike said

thanks for the replies guys but hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what an idiot. i just asked my dad and he said, "youve got the chain on the wrong way." well... i got the chain on the wrong way. i guess it doesnt cut very well with the teeth facing the wrong way.

man what an idiot. im going to move the chain and give it a test cut most likely this is my only problem (that and my poorly functioning brain ;-P ) ill be back in 20.

p.s. could we all just please forget this thread ever happened? thanks :red:

thebeatlesrgood said:
thanks for the replies guys but hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what an idiot. i just asked my dad and he said, "youve got the chain on the wrong way." well... i got the chain on the wrong way. i guess it doesnt cut very well with the teeth facing the wrong way.

man what an idiot. im going to move the chain and give it a test cut most likely this is my only problem (that and my poorly functioning brain ;-P ) ill be back in 20.

Your a good man dont think I could amitt to that, but have done it before!

:lol:
Entertainment tonight

People do that with hack saw blades all the time.

That must be a Poulan pull-saw.

well it cuts beautifully thank god i was thinking i was going to have to drop a few hundred and buy another saw. then again i kind of want an excuse to buy a dolmar 5100 :)

smokinj said:

dont think it was easy, i was considering telling you guys i had to buy a new oiler. ;-)
i guess i wish my dad came home before i decided to post.

billb3 said:
Entertainment tonight

im glad my stupidity is beneficial in one respect(laughter that is :lol: ) it sure as hell didnt help me get any work done. i made three trips today to buy files, file gauges, chains. hopefully tomorrow will be more productive. that is until my splitter wont start. "hey guys my brand new splitter isnt starting could it be the carb?"... "oh wait, false alarm, no gas in the tank. %-P "

thebeatlesrgood said:
well it cuts beautifully thank god i was thinking i was going to have to drop a few hundred and buy another saw. then again i kind of want an excuse to buy a dolmar 5100 :)

smokinj said:

dont think it was easy, i was considering telling you guys i had to buy a new oiler. ;-)
i guess i wish my dad came home before i decided to post.

billb3 said:
Entertainment tonight

im glad my stupidity is beneficial in one respect(laughter that is :lol: ) it sure as hell didnt help me get any work done. i made three trips today to buy files, file gauges, chains. hopefully tomorrow will be more productive. that is until my splitter wont start. "hey guys my brand new splitter isnt starting could it be the carb?"... "oh wait, false alarm, no gas in the tank. %-P "
its always funner when it doesnt cost money!

For me it was a role reversal. My father would put the chain on backwards and call me. He was real hard on chains. I would have a half dozen of them all sharpened up for him. I went through files like crazy cuz he'd run the chain into the ground and temper the cutters.

He had two saws cuz he always managed to break one. I kept fixing them and used his spare until he needed it. Then I'd swap them, fix what he broke and use it until he broke something else.

[quote author="thebeatlesrgood" date="1226547573"]

what an idiot. i just asked my dad and he said, "youve got the chain on the wrong way." quote]

....even if I thought that could be your problem....i wouldn't have asked. Takes a pair to admit it :sick:

thebeatlesrgood said:

Short of looking at it I would never have thought to suggest you check the direction of the chain.

And, no.

Don't feel bad. Been there, done that, w/ more than one type of tool... :red: The other one that still gets me once in a while is spinning the electric drill the wrong way - doesn't make holes for squat...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.