Trouble regulating Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

claytonboyle

Nov 20, 2021
Ontario
I have just installed a new to me Super 27 and chimney. I am fairly new to wood heat, had an enviro mini pellet stove for several years but have never burned wood in the house before.

I am having problems regulating the fire. I find it is all or nothing. I will start a fire with paper/kindling, once that is well established add 2-4 splits in north south orientation. Once they are blackened and rolling and flue probe temps are around 400-500f I will close air down close to LOW. At this point the probe temps continue to climb sometimes as high as 7-800 until I shut the air right down. I am finding sometimes this almost kills the fire within half hour or so and flue temps drop down to 2-300 and the fire doesnt seem to be doing too much. It continues to burn but I dont think its hot enough. Then if I open the air even half an inch the fire rages again and the probe temp climbs towards 700 or better.

I am burning mostly ash/maple/birch moisture ranges from 18-22/23%
The stove is in good shape, I went through it all I think
Baffles are good
Flameshield is in place
I replaced the baffle gasket as it was MIA
Door seems to be sealing tight

Feeds into about 5 feet of selkirk double wall and then out the wall through selkirk cf chimney tee and up 18'
I have trouble getting draft on a cold stove sometimes but thats probably because Im new. I could probably get away with removing one section of chimney and still be the required 36" above roof.

Anyone have any insight or tips and tricks the keep this thing running more consistent??

I have a Summit LE 2020 and I have a similar issue, but I am burning 12-15% MC pine. I worry I am running the stove too hot at times but if I don't get it hot enough, it will drop down to 200-300f range once I shut the air down like you experience, but if I leave it open for too long getting it up to temp it will continue to go crazy at 6-900f for quite some time (even with air 100% closed) until it basically turns all the wood into charcoal - wasting heat. I have assumed my problem is due to burning softwood only, but where I am located this is what is easily sourced. If I babysit the stove, which sucks because its in the basement, I can manage it quite well and get it to burn about 4-500f for several hours, continually and gradually inching the primary air open and keeping the secondaries going nicely.

With what you've said I suspect your MC might be an issue, you are close to the range where it's sketchy and when you get a wet load it won't let the fire continue until it's ripping and been "baked". Try with some known dry stuff, all below 20% and see if it improves.

Using the top down fire lighting technique was also a big help for me as I tried to figure this business of wood burning out. - see the sticky thread at the top of this forum from Begreen, its was a game changer for me.

I have a Summit LE 2020 and I have a similar issue, but I am burning 12-15% MC pine. I worry I am running the stove too hot at times but if I don't get it hot enough, it will drop down to 200-300f range once I shut the air down like you experience, but if I leave it open for too long getting it up to temp it will continue to go crazy at 6-900f for quite some time (even with air 100% closed) until it basically turns all the wood into charcoal - wasting heat. I have assumed my problem is due to burning softwood only, but where I am located this is what is easily sourced. If I babysit the stove, which sucks because its in the basement, I can manage it quite well and get it to burn about 4-500f for several hours, continually and gradually inching the primary air open and keeping the secondaries going nicely.

With what you've said I suspect your MC might be an issue, you are close to the range where it's sketchy and when you get a wet load it won't let the fire continue until it's ripping and been "baked". Try with some known dry stuff, all below 20% and see if it improves.

Using the top down fire lighting technique was also a big help for me as I tried to figure this business of wood burning out. - see the sticky thread at the top of this forum from Begreen, its was a game changer for me.

Reactions: begreen
I will start a fire with paper/kindling, once that is well established add 2-4 splits in north south orientation. Once they are blackened and rolling and flue probe temps are around 400-500f I will close air down close to LOW. At this point the probe temps continue to climb sometimes as high as 7-800 until I shut the air right down.

Try closing your air down in increments, IE 1/2 way down once your secondaries kick in.

I also suspect that the firewood could be a part of the problem.

The Super is an easy breather. If you don't need the extra 3 ft of chimney to be legal, then go ahead and remove it. Then practice closing the air down quicker, in increments.

The linked thread posted above can provide help.

Reactions: claytonboyle
Thanks guys, I will try that out. Can never trust these firewood guys and their "ready to burn" motto.

I hope this is the case

It probably is .

Get ahead. The initial outlay more than outway's things in the long run.