Jøtul 118 installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

derek_weaver

Nov 26, 2020
Tx
I was gifted a Jøtul 118 in very good condition. I have used a Country Flame for the last 30 years in my home. Replaced that this year with a Yøtul F602. I want to place the 118 in our studio which is always chilly.

The 188 has 4 side vent and 1 rear vent option. I would like to use the rear vent, but do not want the pipe to go directly out of the house, which would mean putting a 90 º bend at the rear of the stove, go up about 5 feet and another 90º bend out of the house then one more bend to go straight up beside the house.

How dumb is this configuration?

I do not want to go through the roof if possible, but will, as a last resort towards keeping as much pipe in the room as possible.

Any thoughts ?

Yes, this is permissable, though going straight up is usually better and often less expensive. Just be sure that the clearances for the stove and the stovepipe are honored.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.25.05 AM.png