Jøtul GF 200 DV burner will not light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eugeneO

Greetings to one and all!
I'm helping a young war widow get some things fixed around her place. She has a Jøtul fireplace (propane) that would not light at all. So I took it apart, cleaned it, and replaced the igniter, and the pilot/thermocouple/thermopile assembly, and stove fired up, just as it should. That was last week, she called yesterday and said the pilot was working, but the burner would not light. I went over there to confirm, and did the starting procedure by the book, but no burner. She also commented that the pilot flame was twice as high as it was when all was running well a year ago. Stove runs off a 5 gallon propane tank, about 1/2 full. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Test the thermopile (TP) with a multimeter set to vDC.
With the pilot lit, & the switch off. take a reading
by placing the contacts on the two screws where the
TP is secured to the valve on the terminal block...
You should get 525 +/- 25 millivolts (mv).
Turn the burner on & take another reading.
It should drop to about 220 +/- 20mv.

IMG_0202.jpg

Many thanks DAKSY for your insightful reply. I put my micky mouse meter on the two live terminals and this is what I got on pilot with the rocker switch in neutral.

View attachment 256949

Many thanks DAKSY for your insightful reply. I put my micky mouse meter on the two live terminals and this is what I got on pilot with the rocker switch in neutral.

IMG_0206.jpg

And here it is with gas valve on, and rocker switch on far left. darnit, wont light!
Thank you!

I have hit it lightly with a small hammer, is it time to remove and hit it with carb cleaner?
I can't read it. Is that 170 mV? If so, it's about 1/3 of what you need to open the electromagnets on the valve.
4E0F2664-EBA7-44C6-859C-971D1F7482F2.png

looks like 70vma? Have you ever seen it like this? Fresh thermopile right out of the box. I imagine that valve has a real spring holding it shut

View attachment 256950
And here it is with gas valve on, and rocker switch on far left. darnit, wont light!
Thank you!

I have hit it lightly with a small hammer, is it time to remove and hit it with carb cleaner?

View attachment 257000
looks like 70vma? Have you ever seen it like this? Fresh thermopile right out of the box. I imagine that valve has a real spring holding it shut
I’ll check the power from the rocker switch. Is it supposed to be 120v?