J. Woodruff and Sons - Pot Belly Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsutter01

Jan 6, 2015
Northern Indiana
I have this antique J. Woodruff and Sons pot belly stove. It says Salem, O. I little research says it was made in Salem, Ohio. This model is 21?

Does anybody have any information on this stove? What is it worth - planning on selling.

Thanks.
0221152351.jpg 0221152350.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this antique J. Woodruff and Sons pot belly stove. It says Salem, O. I little research says it was made in Salem, Ohio. This model is 21?

Does anybody have any information on this stove? What is it worth - planning on selling.

Thanks.
View attachment 155180 View attachment 155181
My grandfather bought this j woodruff in 1940, it has been used every winter since. Part is cast and parts wrought iron, about 4.5' tall.

Attachments

• WP_20160227_001.jpg
    WP_20160227_001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 245
Wow, that's some history. Does he burn coal or wood in it?

Wow, that's some history. Does he burn coal or wood in it?
I inherited it 30 years ago, and we burn mostly wood, my Grandfather did burn coal in it years ago it has grates for both.My grandfather lived Near Salem Ohio, but I have never been able to find any info On Woodruff and Sons. We have only altered the door by adding a spring latch so the door would stay closed. It comes apart in 5 sections 2 are cast 3 are wrought iron, its a Number 22. Yours appears to be cast Iron, and its a beauty don't ever sell it.

Can't see the back, does it have a pipe going from top down to bottom on the outside? If so it's a coal "Base Burner" that uses the pipe to recirculate coal gas back through coal bed, sort of a supercharger way of getting the firebed much hotter.
If not, it's a wood / coal "Base Heater" otherwise known as "Round Oak".
Either way, not a Pot Belly.
Normally the number is the diameter of firepot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.