JACKPOT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
IMG_2416.jpg
IMG_2415.jpg
I was just given about 5 yrs worth of White Oak tops that have been down for 3 yrs! I about done a back flip when I received this phone call but remembered how old I was....lol What a blessing! This is how my poverty stricken college son gets his extra money.He wants to clean up the place to sell it and knew I was serious firewood cutter. He asked when I could start? I said as soon as you quit jaw jacking I will get started! He laughed and said have at it and I was throwing saw dust 45 minutes later...lol...this wood is premium and won't take long to dry out.Access year a round puts the icing on the cake! Even got to blow the cob webs out of the 660 today on a big Red Oak snag...it just keeps getting better! We hauled in approx. 2 cord before my son had to leave out and return to school. I am going to try and get a bunch precut this week so we can hit it hard next weekend.This is my woods rig a 96 Ram 8.0 with a 12K winch
IMG_2414.jpg

Last edited:
Double dipping. Very nice.

5 yrs worth of White Oak tops that have been down for 3 yrs...this wood is premium and won't take long to dry out.
Jackpot indeed! White Oak, king of firewoods! Shoot, the smell alone makes it worth the work. >>
Don't be fooled, though. If that stuff had been standing dead for 10 yrs. and all the bark and sapwood was long gone, then I would agree that it wouldn't take long to dry out. I would try that type of stuff in one year, if it was split to 4" or less, stacked loose and single-row, top-covered, and I lived in the middle of a huge bean field in the part of Indiana where they have the wind generators! ;lol With the stuff you have there, since I'm stacking three rows wide on pallets, in the woods where the wind isn't that good, I would leave it in the stack three years. If I work that hard, I want perfect-burning wood for my efforts. ==c

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Jackpot indeed! White Oak, king of firewoods! Shoot, the smell alone makes it worth the work. >>
Don't be fooled, though. If that stuff had been standing dead for 10 yrs. and all the bark and sapwood was long gone, then I would agree that it wouldn't take long to dry out. I would try that type of stuff in one year, if it was split to 4" or less, stacked loose and single-row, top-covered, and I lived in the middle of a huge bean field in the part of Indiana where they have the wind generators! ;lol With the stuff you have there, since I'm stacking three rows wide on pallets, in the woods where the wind isn't that good, I would leave it in the stack three years. If I work that hard, I want perfect-burning wood for my efforts. ==c
I just stuck several of them with the meter and I am getting a 21-23% avg.Not bad...I was expecting it to be higher.

I just stuck several of them with the meter and I am getting a 21-23% avg.Not bad...I was expecting it to be higher.
Wow, that surprises me as well. _g Don't be lulled, though. Probably just a limb that's drier than the rest. Do I sound like I don't trust Oak? That's probably because I've been burned more than once, with a sizzler making it into the stove. I hate that... :mad: ;lol

Wow, that surprises me as well. _g Don't be lulled, though. Probably just a limb that's drier than the rest. Do I sound like I don't trust Oak? That's probably because I've been burned more than once, with a sizzler making it into the stove. I hate that... :mad: ;lol
I have been there as well...oak is pretty much all I burn. I have been burning for the last 30 yrs give or take..I am very lucky in that I get a lot of oak.I have some I cut green 18 months ago and split and stacked and I checked a good size piece of it yesterday and its 24%....getting there...:)What I am burning now is red oak and it runs 14% and often less...catches immediately.At my current burn rate I will have enough of it to finish out this season pretty easy. I will stay on cutting and splitting my new hoard...I will keep the smaller limb wood separate and I will have a lot of it. I have about 3 cord of year old ash thats looking pretty good...couldnt pass it up as it went down in a straight line wind storm in a open pasture....pure gravy...:):)

Nice deal.

bob

Not me. Three years for that is too long to wait. There is such a thing as too much patience, and if that is what is required for this awesome score, I'd say screw it and give this whole endeavor up.

Figure out how to get some of it dry enough to burn next year, don't need all of it dry, just enough. Then repeat for year two. Whatever it takes, solar kiln, whatever. Just sitting on all that for three years, unless you have enough already ready to burn, feels like too much sacrifice, almost like giving up.

Not me. Three years for that is too long to wait.
Haven't you heard? "Good things come to those who wait." Three-year White is more than good....it's grrrrreat! >> Once you get a few years ahead on your wood, you ain't waitin' for the good stuff. Ready to burn right now, I've got....soft Maple and Black Cherry (of course,) Sugar Maple, Red Oak, White, Pignut Hickory, Dogwood and Black Locust. For me, the wait is over....has been for years. ==c
002.JPG

Not me. Three years for that is too long to wait. There is such a thing as too much patience, and if that is what is required for this awesome score, I'd say screw it and give this whole endeavor up.

Figure out how to get some of it dry enough to burn next year, don't need all of it dry, just enough. Then repeat for year two. Whatever it takes, solar kiln, whatever. Just sitting on all that for three years, unless you have enough already ready to burn, feels like too much sacrifice, almost like giving up.
I am pretty sure this will be ready for next year...at a minimum the limb wood will be ready. I have time to set on a lot of wood and usually do as I sell a lot on the side to help my son out while attending college...Winter time its cutting,splitting and stacking...summer time it lawn care...it never ends!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Nice grab nothing better than free heat.

Haven't you heard? "Good things come to those who wait." Three-year White is more than good....it's grrrrreat! >> Once you get a few years ahead on your wood, you ain't waitin' for the good stuff. Ready to burn right now, I've got....soft Maple and Black Cherry (of course,) Sugar Maple, Red Oak, White, Pignut Hickory, Dogwood and Black Locust. For me, the wait is over....has been for years. ==c
View attachment 193761
True enough...I am already 2-3 years ahead with some oak,locust and ash...this recent score is so much more icing on the cake! This will propel me many years ahead! It affords me the chance to be very selective in what goes into my stove! I am figuring out what it takes size wise to stuff this stove to the max for max burn times.There is going to be lots of squared up pieces in my future....

Reactions: Woody Stover
Woody I checked some bigger pieces that I had brought in overnight and got 27%

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
View attachment 193761
Hey...
Got a 3 year supply of the picture...or enough to share? ;) :) :) ;)

I checked some bigger pieces that I had brought in overnight and got got 27%
OK, maybe the ones that tested lower were still cold? That will lower the reading. You're looking at a couple years in the stack, then, if they aren't split real big.
Got a 3 year supply of the picture...or enough to share? ;) :) :) ;)
That stuff appeared here once, then I never saw it again, unfortunately. Maybe you gotta live in a bigger town to get the variety, or maybe it was just a specialty thing for a short time?