John deere amt 600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Allagash350

Burning Hunk
Apr 9, 2016
Bowdoinham, Me
Circa 1990 John Deere amt600, the original gator.
I picked it up for 200 bucks from a guy I was moving, it was in great shape.
Got it running after I bought it this fall, then mice invaded it and I couldn't keep it running for the last 3 weeks. Finally got it fixed up and back to work.

When it is fully loaded with oak it's a bit tricky to steer but other wise this thing is an absolute tank.
Hydraulic dump bed is so much more satisfying then the wheelbarrow though!

20181201_161703.jpg

Just thought I'd share, would love some off the toys I've seen here but a tractor or side by side isn't in the budget for a while

Got it running after I bought it this fall, then mice invaded it and I couldn't keep it running for the last 3 weeks. Finally got it fixed up and back to work.

When it is fully loaded with oak it's a bit tricky to steer but other wise this thing is an absolute tank.

View attachment 234588

Just thought I'd share, would love some off the toys I've seen here but a tractor or side by side isn't in the budget for a while

Ya, that's cool and useful. I'd have been all over that myself. Nice job.

Reactions: Todd67
Awesome score.

I have an '86 Yamaha Tri-Moto that I want to restore / bring back from the dead sometime. I had my place built in '96. They cleared a 1/3 acre in the middle of 2 acres of woods. I had them leave all of the cleared wood on site. I installed my first stove in the fall of '97. I loaded splits on the rear rack to haul it up to the house, if I could keep the front tire on the ground, LOL. Fun times. It had a front rack that bolted onto the clamps that held the front forks. A little counterweight on it really helped.

Maybe you could find or fabricate a front rack for it?

Not my bike, but it looked like this one.

Been using the cart instead of a wheel barrow to haul wood to the house. It takes longer to set up but it's more fun and saves a bit of time if I'm doing a full load.
upload_2018-12-2_18-44-0.png

Reactions: Todd67 and Lone_Gun
Awesome score.

I have an '86 Yamaha Tri-Moto that I want to restore / bring back from the dead sometime. I had my place built in '96. They cleared a 1/3 acre in the middle of 2 acres of woods. I had them leave all of the cleared wood on site. I installed my first stove in the fall of '97. I loaded splits on the rear rack to haul it up to the house, if I could keep the front tire on the ground, LOL. Fun times. It had a front rack that bolted onto the clamps that held the front forks. A little counterweight on it really helped.

Maybe you could find or fabricate a front rack for it?

Not my bike, but it looked like this one.

Thanks guys! He was the original owner, gave me all the original manuals and everything.

He had it at his summer home for yardwork and barely used it.

I have a friend whos father uses these for his grave digging business. The last one he bought he drove from maine to new Jersey and paid 1500 for it barely running.

That is a great idea about the counter weight out front. I will give it some thought.

We used to have one back in the day when we farmed. I remember hauling hay and straw and feed with it. I was pretty small then so I always had problems steering. They had a saftey update on those as well. When we got it, it would run 25mph. After the update they widened it and it would only run 15mph. They are a simple tough machine though

I can't imagine going 25 on this thing. I am sure at the time people complained about it but I bet it saved a few lives.

It is very stable with the 4 wheels out back. Steering it with the differential locked is also pretty pointless. That thing weighs 800 lbs and when she starts going with all 4 it is just going straight ahead haha.

I called my neighbors and got permission to haul wood off their land. They have around 50 acres which connects through logging/snowmobile trails, it is great.

I was disappointed once I got out there. It is mostly softwoods. It has been logged pretty heavily over the years, and frankly the forest was in great shape in terms of growth and health of trees.

However my agreement is for down or dead trees and I saw very few. Either way,
Way it is always great to go dub around with the saw back there.

I did not want to use my riding mower with a cart because I have a residential john deere and I know it would not be good for it with my use. I figured having two separate tools with two separate tasks was better.

Rambling on, sorry guys!
I will get some more pics of it and the manual, it is pretty funny.

They also made the amt626 (I believe) that had a little more power, 2 seats side by side and a steering wheel. I agree the are almost useless in mud with a load trying to steer. We always had to have a person stand on each side on the floorboard for extra weight

It is very stable with the 4 wheels out back. Steering it with the differential locked is also pretty pointless. That thing weighs 800 lbs and when she starts going with all 4 it is just going straight ahead haha.
/

If it makes you feel any better the later 6x4's do the same thing. You probably have an easier time though the 6x4 get hung up pretty easy with the front wheels having no drive.

Reactions: jaoneill and Todd67
Great price for a nice workhorse! I'm right there with you on a tractor not being in the budget. I'm still using my 2005 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4x4 4-wheeler and a dump cart from TSC to haul firewood on my 15 acres. Bought the 4-wheeler new in 2005 and it's been a great machine. I also use it for plowing snow.

View attachment 234588

I bought a 2002 gator 6X4 last spring; paid 3K, overall in very good condition but the engine was toast. $700 for a 22hp Predator and it is one sweet machine. I had heard (correctly) that they are next to useless in snow; after our first storm I invested in tire chains, problem solved.

I bought a 2002 gator 6X4 last spring; paid 3K, overall in very good condition but the engine was toast. $700 for a 22hp Predator and it is one sweet machine. I had heard (correctly) that they are next to useless in snow; after our first storm I invested in tire chains, problem solved.

In snow absolutely, but 200lbs in the bed and a plow on it they'll move an impressive amount of snow. The heaters are crap though.

1453530_10151981273097279_1127679678_n.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Todd67