Jotul 118 side burn plate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phantomchefME

Oct 25, 2021
Maine
Hi Folks, new member, and happy to be here.

I'm putting an old Jotul 118 I recently purchased through the ropes, and had a quick question... I have (so I've learned) the non UL 118 with the shorter side baffles and only two holes. My baffles are warped and have cracks that were repaired by having small plates welded over the cracks. I'm going to replace them before long, and was wondering if anyone knows whether the UL baffles will fit instead of the non UL ones? I have three hooks inside the stove, so perhaps the current baffles were replacements themselves? I'm not sure why there would be a spare hook if the current baffles are correct. (For some inexplicable reason the UL baffles are less expensive, hence my tendency to replace with them if possible.)

The stove is burning now, so I can't get in there to measure the spacing of the hooks, so I thought I'd just check in here to see if anyone has any knowledge of this situation and this particular stove.

Thanks so much, I look forward to "hanging around."

Matt

I think either will work, but the UL burn plate is what is approved. Give Woodman's Parts Plus a call. They should be able to help you with this.

Have you tried your local Jotul dealer?

PS: They are called side burn plates. The baffle is what sits on top of them.

Yes you can use UL plates in a non UL 118. And the UL are cheaper last time I checked.

Reactions: phantomchefME