Jotul 118 Value???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - newbie to forum here. I am going to look at an old 118 which is supposed to have been cared for by one owner. Here is a link to the ad. http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/hsh/4243877974.html
I am wondering about the crack, and have been reading about 118s cracking. No activity on the stove as far as sale, and I am only able to afford $300, is that insulting ? Also, I,too, would like whatever manual info. I note that perhaps the pdf on this site that was recently posted is for a newer model than the one I hope to look at, based upon weight of fuel load specification.
Many thanks, Pnkn
familiar with 70's and 80's Defiants, Intrepid I, and a <G> tiny USSC box stove.

With a crack your offer is not too low. If the stove was in perfect condition it would be worth about $450-600. The concern is that the burn plates or baffle may be shot in the stove. If they need replacement, it's worth about $200 or less. Usually a hairline crack will develop from overheating. If you look at the horse's back you can see what looks like charred enameling. It should be green, not grey.
I would not buy this stove without inspecting the interior burn plates and the whole body carefully. If the burn plates and baffle are in good shape (no cracks or warpage) or have been replaced, then the stove is worth about $300 assuming that hairline crack is now protected by the burnplate. The crack spread can often be contained by drilling a tiny hole at each end, then rubbing in some furnace cement into it.

Last edited:
With a crack your offer is not too low. I am concerned that the burn plates or baffle may be shot in the stove. Usually a hairline crack will develop from overheating. If you look at the horse's back you can see what looks like charred enameling. It should be green, not grey. I would not buy this stove without inspecting the interior burn plates and the whole body carefully. If the burn plates and baffle are in good shape or have been replaced, then the stove is worth about $300 assuming that hairline crack is now protected by the burnplate. The crack spread can be contained by drilling a tiny hole at each end, then rub in some furnace cement into it.

Thanks ! I have the following info:
"Crack is in the side panel, and has been there for years, it does not open up or let air in the stove. Every year before heat season, I would clean the stove for my Mother, and place stove cement over the crack area to protect the stove sides. The stove does have new removable stove interior side panels (see attached owner’s manual)".
You are suggesting that hopefully as long as there is a physical piece of baffle between the fire and the stove wall proper where the crack is hopefully this would offer the protection that the crack needs.

Are parts still available for a stove this old ?

This is not my dream stove (Jotul TL50, I don't bend), just something to get me through this winter where we have already had nights to 20F and daytime highs in low 30s. (Today excepted).

How difficult would it be to change the flue exit from the side that it is currently on to ideally the rear or to the other side ? I suppose it depends upon how set the screws holding the stove pipe are ?

Thanks

The F118 is a very respectable heater. It is easy to run and definitely puts out the heat. I haven't changed out the flue port on one of these, but Jotul built them simple and to last. I would expect there to be a couple screws holding in the side plate that match the flange mount for the flue collar. You can still get parts for the stove. Woodmans Parts Plus sells the baffle and side-burn plates. http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/catalog.aspx I would also expect the door gasket needs to be replaced given its age.

well, I didn't buy it. Crack was through and through, the entire height of the panel, and all along the horse's back. Too much for me in an old stove. I was also suprised by the small size of the loading door and the narrow width. Height and depth were good.

Thank you., thank you. Carol gave me an informational Jotul Brochure "A Resource Book On The Art Of Heating With Wood " printed by Kristia Associates- Importers.The copyright on the Manual is 1976. It contains a lot of neat information about the desigenrs of the various model stoves and the artists who designed the art reliefs for the stoves.

The Chimney is about 13-14ft. At the moment I have not measured exactly but have the measurements figured fairly close. Stove is on a raised hearth then it is about 55" to ceiling, figure 4 ft through attic and 4 ft outside chimney above roof. I figured the liner would give the best draft because the clay liners are much larger than the 8X12 maximum listed for the stove.DO you think that the liner should be insulated or will it be ok without?
Hi William, I've been looking for Jotul Brochure "A Resource Book On The Art Of Heating With Wood" and google got me to your post. Not sure what the chance is that you will still get this as your post is from 2012. If you read this message, could you please check if you have pdf format of this book by any chance? I am on email [email protected]. Many thanks. Maggie

I saw a local 118, their asking $895, green enamel, a few chips in front, both side burn plates are cracked, needs a new top gasket, doesn't seem to be any cracks in the main unit.

$895 seems high.

$895 seems high.
Wishful thinking in that condition. Side burn plates are over $300 a piece at Woodmans. If the baffle needs replacing add another $200.

Wishful thinking in that condition. Side burn plates are over $300 a piece at Woodmans. If the baffle needs replacing add another $200.
Can you weld the burn plates to get some more use from them? Baffle looked good.

I doubt it unless the crack is caught very early. Usually when they crack a section warps and the edges get brittle. One could possibly cut heavy steel plate to act as a substitute, but that might warp.

Status
Not open for further replies.