Jotul 118b Side baffle/plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stender

Mar 14, 2014
Enfield, CT
Has anyone made there own before? I have a UL listed 118b with the 3 hole plates and just find it crazy how expensive the replacements plates are ! Woodsman sells them for like $285 a piece.

Mine have minimal cracks. Was thinking about welding them to last another season. Good idea or bad?

helppppppp

My understanding is that cast iron is hard to weld. If the cracks are minimal you could try drilling a small hole at the end to the crack to stop it from spreading. Depending on the location and size you might also be able to attach a steel plate bridging the crack to help protect that area from heat and relieve some stress there.

attached are pictures of the side baffles/burn plates with the cracks

the plates really aren't warped but just cracked... i'm thinking about cleaning them up, grinding out the cracks and re-welding them

My buddy is a welder and he said it could be done i just need to pre-heat the plates, buy special nickel plated welding sticks and it should be fine

Also attached a picture of the 118. Just cleaned it up and painted the handle and stained the knob ! can't wait to put this in !

Attachments

• 20140819_080427_resized.jpg
    20140819_080427_resized.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 431
  • 20140819_080547_resized.jpg
    20140819_080547_resized.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 20140819_080539_resized.jpg
    20140819_080539_resized.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 425
That's a great stove. It looks very nice with the new paint job. Those plates will last another season. Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop its spread, even if welding.

smaller sized hole I'm assuming ? I've got some temperature gauges coming to keep on the stove so i'm not really planning on getting this thing over 500 degrees so i'm assuming it will be fine....

Yes, a 3/32" hole is fine. It is a willing heater so don't be too concerned if it gets up to 650F occasionally.

yeah doing research on this site shows it love's to get hot quick ! both of the plates have a long crack that go into the holes of the plate where you hang it ....what should i do there? just leave it? the other cracks like in the center ill drill a a hole to stop it from spreading right?

Yes, if the crack has reached an edge that is as far as it can go. Drill the hole in the other end of the crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.