Jotul 118B

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No need to line bottom with firebrick. Manual says you can put sand in the bottom.
After a few fires the ash will cover the bottom to the top of the swiggle steel ribbons, so i just have ash in the bottom of my 118 clone.

And i have the same set up you are talking about. 5" to 6" adapter to 4Ft of 6" single wall into 8" ceiling box. Works fine till the wind blows from the NE. My my chimney is extremely short though. Maybe about 10ft from the top of the 118. This means no fires on NE wind days which thankfully is fairly uncommon. If i was using this house more i would definitely have raised the chimney height years ago and changed from the ceiling box up to 6".

You can cut plates for the side from steel plates, i did that for a buddy with a 602. Same idea with the 118.
These are cast plates, from what I gather. And even if I were to replicate them in mild steel, there would be some bending. The 'pegs' made into the castings hold the side plates, but the top plate keeps them from falling into the center of the firebox.

Thanks for the sand idea; that would be cheaper and infinitely easier than firebricks. Yes, there was a good layer of ash when I vacuumed it all out. The bottom plate looks pristine.

From the math, 6" to 8" should be fine, especially if I use double-wall inside the house.

Kevin
 
you can also try to find a beat up clone for cheap that might have decent side plates in it and just take those plates.
Not really in the cards to have 300lb donors sitting around. All the 118Bs are very hard to find on this side of the mountain anyway. I got very lucky to find TWO. I've not seen a 118B yet with side plates that weren't burnt out. It would have to be someone who replaced them and decided to get a newer stove, or was moving. I scan eBay pretty regularly for the plates.

Kevin
 
If you’re handy I bet you can make side plates out of steel plate stock, using the old ones as a template. The 602s weren’t anything special, I think the eBay ones were just water jet cut plate.

Edit: just saw your post, I think the 602 plates have a little radius on them too, I think that’s why I ended up going the non-eBay route.

Changing topics i used sand at the bottom of my 602 when i cleaned it bare to replace the plates.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Real1shepperd
If you’re handy I bet you can make side plates out of steel plate stock, using the old ones as a template. The 602s weren’t anything special, I think the eBay ones were just water jet cut plate.

Edit: just saw your post, I think the 602 plates have a little radius on them too, I think that’s why I ended up going the non-eBay route.

Changing topics i used sand at the bottom of my 602 when i cleaned it bare to replace the plates.
Plates look like cast to me and have some features cast into them. Cast will last longer than mild steel plates in a firebox. But I'm certainly not set on spending $200 each on them.<>

Been working out of state all weekend. Hope to post some pre-cleaning pics soon.......

Kevin
 
  • Like
Reactions: Turbo89
Plates look like cast to me and have some features cast into them. Cast will last longer than mild steel plates in a firebox. But I'm certainly not set on spending $200 each on them.<>

Been working out of state all weekend. Hope to post some pre-cleaning pics soon.......

Kevin
Yes sir, the ones i took out/ put back in were cast. No idea if that will hold up better or worse than plate, but the whole stove is cast and mine’s from the 60s still looking great.