Jotul 121 Elg

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
Thank you @WarmerWithWood for giving me the opportunity to give this stove a new life! We are so excited to find this gem. A unicorn or Sasquatch really! Thanks for the wonderful experience! You are truly a gem, just like the stove!

915705EE-E39F-4271-9662-2E8A2856E977.jpeg 6E942926-32AC-4556-96D6-92B0C7454BB4.jpeg A8F3E4D8-54B5-460B-AB77-8BC07A1C69AE.jpeg

Nice! That's a big heater. Is it new, or just repainted? Looks like you got a full load of old Jotul gems.

Are you going to put that big boy in the house?

It will go in the garage once it gets built. I recently moved and the house doesn’t really have room for a stove. I’m in the process of installing an FPX Apex 42 though.

Just a wonderful transaction with good folk. We are happy to see the old Moose continue on. I guess it’s time to change the profile pic.

The Progress Hybrid is providing a great transition so far - the dancing flames are a bonus and the heat is almost too much, at least for this shoulder season.

Reactions: webby3650 and Todd
That looks great! Too bad Jotul doesn’t bring back some of those old stoves. If that 121 had a glass window and clean EPA burner I bet it would be a good seller.

Reactions: SpaceBus
That looks great! Too bad Jotul doesn’t bring back some of those old stoves. If that 121 had a glass window and clean EPA burner I bet it would be a good seller.
These old jotuls burn surprisingly clean. I service a few annually, the flue is comparable to an epa stove. They were designed really well.

Reactions: Todd
I finally got around to fabricating some replacement side shields and baffle. I think it turned out pretty good. Firebrick for the sides, skamol for the baffle. The piece I had was a little narrow so I stuffed the edges with ceramic wool. Being a prototype I used what was free. Thanks to my daughter for the welding. She chose this as her vocation in high school.

IMG_4842.jpeg IMG_4843.jpeg IMG_4846.jpeg IMG_4847.jpeg

Reactions: begreen and Todd
That came out really well. How neat that you and your daughter could team up on this project. It looks great.

Reactions: webby3650
That came out really well. How neat that you and your daughter could team up on this project. It looks great.
I thought about for a year and finally made it happen. Should work great. The rear panel is still intact, it channels secondary air above the baffle. For an old stove these burn incredibly clean.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you. The 118 has a good track record so this big boy should be even better with the new fittings. Remember to put an inch of sand on the bottom before burning.

Is the door also designed to inject secondary air at the top where the flue gases turn around the baffle?

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you. The 118 has a good track record so this big boy should be even better with the new fittings. Remember to put an inch of sand on the bottom before burning.

Is the door also designed to inject secondary air at the top where the flue gases turn around the baffle?
No, it sends air under the floor and up the back wall, then it moves out across the baffle.

It’s just a garage stove. But very rare and I want to protect it as best as I can.

Looks more like a man cave stove to me :)

The heat exchanger makes it rarer. How is that for creosote buildup?

Looks more like a man cave stove to me :)

The heat exchanger makes it rarer. How is that for creosote buildup?
You might say so. Still just in the garage though. Very little creosote in the heat exchanger. I clean several old jotuls regularly. Very little buildup on over 2 years. It’s pretty incredible really.

IMG_4240.jpeg

Reactions: begreen and Todd