Jotul 3 classic with horizontal install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JayInByers

Jan 9, 2020
Colorado, USA
I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer, so I created an account to ask your guys' opinion. What is the definition of a horizontal run.. Anything that isn't vertical?

Recently picked up a beautiful, green Jotul 3 classic and the best place to put it is on the center of our living room wall. Ideally what I want to do is avoid going through my attic and through the roof. It's roughly 8ft to my attic and then another 6ft until I'm through the roof. I will be going through the wall (into my garage) out the back of the unit and then 90' turning up.

What I'd prefer to do is instead of turning my ducting 90 degrees up, I'd like to angle it about 25 degrees and run along the length of my garage wall, have a short straight horizontal section, and finally terminate outside on the exterior wall.

I'm an electrician so I love intricate conduit bending, so I guess my mind just works this way. So here's the math, I hope I'm clear enough:

12" out of the back of my gas stove to a 90 degree elbow.
From the elbow it will be pointed up at 25 degrees
The duct in this section will be roughly 16.5 ft long covering a lateral distance of 15ft.
Finally an 18" section of straight horizontal will go through the front wall, where my garage door is, into a stainless steel horizontal cap.

I love the idea of introducing heat into my garage and at the same time not penetrating my roof. Am I just totally, way off on this pipe dream?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1578549321691.jpg
    FB_IMG_1578549321691.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 128