Jotul 3 worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PumpkinQueen

Nov 13, 2023
CT
This Jotul 3 below is being sold for $200 and I'm considering it to insert in my fireplace. Does it look safe for use? Is it worth $200? I know nothing about this topic so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Screenshot_20231113_093921_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231113_093956_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231113_093949_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231113_093935_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231113_093928_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231113_093921_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20231113_093942_Facebook.jpg

The outside looks like its been treated roughly. What does the inside look like? Personally I'd pass on it.

If I absolutely needed a stove and it was close by. Looks like all the pieces are there and it’s got it’s tag. It’s not the catalytic version so that’s good.

I’d go check it out and expect it to need all new gaskets all the way around.

There are probably better stoves for $500. But this time of year somebody will take it at that price

Reactions: PumpkinQueen
If I absolutely needed a stove and it was close by. Looks like all the pieces are there and it’s got it’s tag. It’s not the catalytic version so that’s good.

I’d go check it out and expect it to need all new gaskets all the way around.

There are probably better stoves for $500. But this time of year somebody will take it at that price
Thank you

This is the original model 3. It's a very basic version with just a simple baffle. If there are no cracks in the cast iron then it should work ok in spite of the exterior enamel being in rough condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: PumpkinQueen
This is the original model. It's a very basic version with just a simple baffle. If there are no cracks in the cast iron then it should work ok in spite of the exterior enamel being in rough condition.
Thank you! There doesn't appear to be cracks in the photos I posted but I know nothing about stoves

I honestly like the way the exterior looks! If you give it a good scrubbing.
ONly concern I have is that looks like a ton of rust on the flue collar area inside. Id be curious how rusty it may be, and as others suggested if there are any cracks and if any one panel looks off (bent) compared to the other side. Maybe check the openings to see how tight they seat. LIkely you would need to repair / replace gaskets? If the door doesnt seat flush, I dont know what you would do.
You could be buying a headache so honestly I would pay a stove repair expert to come out with you. At that point you are likely upwards of 500 dollars invested in this stove plus whatever it needs. At that point I would just say screw it, and buy a new drolet :)

Reactions: EbS-P
i had one of these for many years. (the original 3). If it was not for the rust on the flue collar i'd say get it.

BUT with the rust it's a no go.

I had mine fall off the back of my stove with a fire burning! lucky i was home.

The repair would be getting a whole new back panel and rebuilding the stove, obviously that part would be only available off a donor stove.