Jotul 3cb Ivory - Why does the manual state you cant top vent on Ivory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

propud

Oct 19, 2016
Michigan USA
Our ivory Jotul 3CB was manufactured in 1998 I believe. We are the second owners and have owned it for about 12 years. When we purchased it it was already set up for rear flue. We have since moved and would like to use it with a top flue - after reading my manual I see on page 4 that it states "The 3 CB-Ivory may be vented from the rear only - the cast knockout has already been removed." Anyone know why?

Ivory seems to be a fussy finish. Maybe they had to many issues with the finish flaking off near the flue collar?

Ivory seems to be a fussy finish. Maybe they had to many issues with the finish flaking off near the flue collar?

Spoke with Jotul USA HQ today and that seems to be the only logical reason - gentleman there told me plenty of people mask off the marked section on the top and score it with a mirror cutter several times then whack away! Jotul does sell plates to fill the void in the back of the stove. He recommended then putting a couple of squares of sheet metal over the old hole to maintain the integrity of the heat shield. We are willing to risk chipping the enamel to be able to use our beloved stove in its new application! Thanks~

Order the rear cover, gasket and traverse bar from your Jotul dealer if they don't have one in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.