Jotul 400 Castine Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awfireman

Oct 19, 2007
Plymouth,Ma
Just bought a Jotul 400 and have to push the stove back into the fire place opening because the lintel height was short by 1/4 inch but fits when I push the stove back (the flue collar slopes downward before reaching the stove and gives me the 1/4 I need). About 1/4 of the stove is inside the fire place opening and was wondering if this will affect the radiant heating in a negative way?
If so I guess me only other option is to grind the legs down 3/8's of an inch.

Just wondering whats some of you experianced folks would do.

Thanks in advance,

Fireman

Already did that and its to short. The manual said the the flue collat height would be 25 3/4" after the short leg kit. Well measuring from the brick it is 26 1/8..my lintel height is 25 7/8

I'm confused (so what's new :)) Is this with the flue collar pointing straight up or set for rear exit?

From the manual:
The Jøtul F 400 may be installed into a masonry fireplace
provided the height of the opening is a minimum of 29 1/2”. Use
of the Short Leg Package will reduce the stove height by 2 1/4”
(57 mm).

Top exit is at 29.5" - 2.25" = 27.25". If rear exit with the short legs , the centerline for the flue collar shown in the manual is at 23.25" giving an upper edge with 6" pipe of 26.25". Thus I am confused about the 25.75" height.

Sorry it wasnt the manual it was the brochure they gave me the store. And I qoute: "Height to top of flue with optional rear legs= 25 3/4". Well, that was wrong because it is 26 1/4". I can fit the stove into the hearth but the back of the stove is inside the fire place instead of being out into the room so it can heat.

Will this affect the stove as far as heating the room seeing its pushed back into the fireplace?

It will affect the heat that comes into the room to a certain extent. This can be reduced by fashioning a block-off plate around the flue at the lintel height.

I second BG's assessment reguarding the block-off plate. However, I would just go ahead and shorten the legs as you were thinking, if the short leg kit won't work. I would sawzall them rather than grind. 3/8"x4 is a helluva lot of grinding.(measure twice and cut once).

I had my Castine installed both almost completely in the fireplace and just outside the fireplace and there is a pretty big difference, unless you blow a fan on one side to move the heat off the stove and out of the fireplace.

I don't think the stove being 1/4 inside will kill the heat too much but when it is very cold out, you may want to toss a fan on on the side of it.

Maybe I should have done this a few days ago.

Heres a few pics of where the woodstove is be loacted in the fireplace. Most of it is outside but the back 1/4 (where its slants) is inside. Opinions??

Attachments

• P9120029.JPG
    P9120029.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 540
That helps a lot. I think you are going to be ok. A lintel level block-off plate will also help. I'll assume that you already know that the hearth needs extending in front of the stove.

Help for a fellow Castine owner. Rotated for easier viewing.

Attachments

• P9120029.JPG
    P9120029.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 531
I concur. I think your fine as is.

How is the distance to the mantle and the trim? That might bear watching or will there be a shield?

Thought of a shield or removing the wood trim and replacing with something non-combustible....any ideas on a heat shield or alternative? I have searched the internet and havent found anything.

search hearth forum for mantel shield. I know I've posted about this several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.