Jotul 500 Oslo Installed Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fugazi42

Jan 22, 2008
Connecticut
Hi Everyone-

Thought I'd stop by and post some pictures of the Jotul 500 Oslo we had installed today. We installed a Jotul 450 Kennebec insert two years back and have been very happy with it. It easily paid for itself these past two winters considering how much oil we saved. The problem is that the 450 can't put out enough heat to keep the upstairs of our ~2400SF home at a comfortable temperature. It can keep the bottom floor close to 70 on most nights, and 65 on the coldest nights, but the second floor barely stays above 60. The problem is mostly due to the layout of our home, which isn't designed for heating with a wood stove (or forced air for that matter!). We decided to add the new stove in a small open parlor room at the base of the stairs so the heat would travel directly up the stairwell. I have a feeling the Oslo will be our "workhorse" burning most of the time while the insert is only used on the coldest nights.

Here are some pics of the install- it's a very clean install with the stove venting directly out the back, through the wall, and up to the roof through 24' of SS chimney. I just completed the first break-in burn and can't wait to really fire it up.

Josh

JotulOslo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.