Jotul 550 blower automatic setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodNewbie

Nov 20, 2009
Eastern MA
I am new in wood burning and just have a Jotul 550 installed last summer. Weather has been pretty mild so far. I set up a few fires but the blower (on auomatic setting) didn't turn on. Does anyone have any idea at which temperature it is supposed to start? (also where do you measure the temperature?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm not sure at what temp it is suppose to come on but mine will kick on about 20 to 30 minutes after I light the stove from a cold start. Double check the the switch is in the right position in the front. Does it work on Manual setting? Make sure the fan speed is turned up also on the speed dial. Have you had any real fires? Meaning after you get the kindling going you add more splits and then load it up and get the secondaries to burn as well? I can get all that within the 20-30 minutes depending on how good my wood is, outside temps, etc. Also take the grill off the front and make sure the wire didn't come off the metal (not sure of the name - snap set maybe) The auto switch is controlled using the heat sensor on the thin piece of sheet metal above the two fans just below the firebox.

Thanks for your quick answer. Yes, I have had a few real fires. I measured the temperature with an IR thermometer. For the last one, the temperature when measured on the glass was around 650. I also measured it where the hot air is blown out (just above the doors) and it was around 350 or so. The blowers work when using the manual setting.

Thanks again.

I just had a Jotul C 450 Kennebec installed last month. My temp switch to turn on the fan is in the right front area. If there aren't any hot coals near this area, the fan often is delayed coming on automatically.
Try moving some hot coals over to this area to speed the heat reaching the switch.
It works for me.

I agree with edporch, move coals to center front and it will start up faster. If it doesn't come on and it works on manual, time to call the dealer, it is under warranty. I called mine because it took so long to come on, I still think it sometimes takes a little long. He said to clear out all ash infront and put coals there. I did and it did start in about 1/2 hour or a little longer. 350 is a little cold, mine is getting up to 650 at the heating vent. Crank the puppy up.

Welcome to hearth .com. Alot of great information available on all wood burning subjects. Good luck with your new c550 rockland insert. there is a thread, go to " jotul c550 rockland tips thread" , There are 12 pages of all you need to know about your insert from other c550 owners. It's a great insert.

labrador said:
Welcome to hearth .com. Alot of great information available on all wood burning subjects. Good luck with your new c550 rockland insert. there is a thread, go to " jotul c550 rockland tips thread" , There are 12 pages of all you need to know about your insert from other c550 owners. It's a great insert.

Welcome-

Ditto on the thread he mentioned.

I leave my blower on manual so I can decide when I want it on or not. ( I turn it on based on how well the fire is taking off and the temp. - usually somewhere around the 400* mark.) Don't think I have ever left it on auto.

WoodNewbie said:
Thanks for your quick answer. Yes, I have had a few real fires. I measured the temperature with an IR thermometer. For the last one, the temperature when measured on the glass was around 650. I also measured it where the hot air is blown out (just above the doors) and it was around 350 or so. The blowers work when using the manual setting.

Thanks again.

Stick to the temp measurement at the blower vent. The IR and the glass are do not provide any accuracy. 350* out of the blower vent is not very hot, in my opinion. You should peak out at 650-700, though I have mistakenly been much higher. The blower, on auto, will kick in around 550-600. I tend to use it on manual.

Make sure the on button is activated inside the bottom grill, and the blower knob is on.

I made that mistake after installing a C550 this season after already having the C350 since last year. The button on the 350 was only touched once since I installed it.

The C550 seems to start blowing before the C350 does when starting the fires at the same time.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.