Jotul 602 eco or Morso 1442

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Angus MacC

May 28, 2021
Scotland
Hello everyone,
I used to be on this forum a lot, but haven’t been in for the past 8 years, because we have been happily burning a Jotul f118 for the past 13 years. However, we have had a few house changes and while the f118 black bear was an an excellent performing stove, and it burnt 24/7 for 8 months per year, we used a lot of wood. We have improved the house insulation and will rely a bit more on electrical heating and less wood.

Newer stoves are cleaner, but won’t burn over night, but we’ve accepted that we need to kindle in the morning.
I live in Europe (Scotland) and so the market is different from North America / Canada.
I’m looking at one of two stoves, as per title.
Does anyone have experience of either? I don’t think the new 602 eco is available in the USA?
We have a 602 CB in our smaller lounge and it’s an excellent stove, couldn’t wish for anything better, so the new stove will go to heat the other end of the house, during the coldest parts of winter only. The 602 CB is not available in Europe now. Everything is going eco mental!

Welcome back. I would replace the F118 with something more substantial. There are 2 cu ft stoves that will easily provide overnight burns and a better fire view.

Reactions: Angus MacC
Welcome back. I would replace the F118 with something more substantial. There are 2 cu ft stoves that will easily provide overnight burns and a better fire view.
Thanks begreen. I remember you from before.
We have replaced the f118 in our kitchen with a Jotul 162. This stove gives out nearly as much heat, but uses a lot less wood.
We have the 602CB for the lounge, and it’s for a 3rd chimney at the other end of the house we need the Morso or Jotul that I am asking about, which we would use when it’s really sub zero.
I should have skipped all the info about the f118, and mentioned that we have an old style Jotul 602 on the 3rd chimney but find it is not so clean burning and blackens the view of the fire, and is not so efficient as a modern stove.
As our market in Europe is different, I have narrowed the choice down to the only two manufacturers I know of who can supply cast iron stoves on the European market.
Sorry to be such a pain with these complications.

Thanks begreen. I remember you from before.
We have replaced the f118 in our kitchen with a Jotul 162. This stove gives out nearly as much heat, but uses a lot less wood.
We have the 602CB for the lounge, and it’s for a 3rd chimney at the other end of the house we need the Morso or Jotul that I am asking about, which we would use when it’s really sub zero.
I should have skipped all the info about the f118, and mentioned that we have an old style Jotul 602 on the 3rd chimney but find it is not so clean burning and blackens the view of the fire, and is not so efficient as a modern stove.
As our market in Europe is different, I have narrowed the choice down to the only two manufacturers I know of who can supply cast iron stoves on the European market.
Sorry to be such a pain with these complications.
In the UK there are additional choices like a Stanley Tara Eco maybe?

Reactions: SpaceBus
When in doubt, choose the one your wife likes best.
Some of the best advice on the internet.

@Angus MacC how are you getting firewood? The Morso, which I do love, takes very short firewood, most people suggest 10-12". If you are sourcing the wood yourself this is a non issue. Delivered firewood seems to be in the 16" range which suits the Jotul just fine.

Reactions: MR. GLO