Jotul 602 model and door questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Josh P

Jan 9, 2018
Charleston,Sc
Hey Folks new to the forum. I'm looking to purchase this Jotul 602. From what I can gather it is a 602 C, (see picture with numbers a letter). Im trying to figure out if it is a clean burn. I know the 602 CB is, but I haven't been able to find much on just a C. Also does anyone know if it is possible to replace the solid door with the glass door found in the newer 602 models. Thanks in advance

00O0O_bld6ePtC99R_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the door can be switched out, at a great expense I assume..
The stove has no airwash for the glass and no secondary combustion system, so the glass will blacken quickly. The primary air comes in through the door on the cb, I’m not sure how that would compare to the amount of air the dial currently allows in.

For reference, I sold my 602CB in blue/black enamel for $400

I have that stove. It's a good little workhorse and at one time was the biggest selling stove in the world I've read. That said, compared to modern stoves it's not the cleanest burner. Burn only dry wood and don't let it smolder for the cleanest burning.

Karma or soulmate, may have been related in a previous incarnation.

Yep, this year it was an Avalon Rainier for me.

Reactions: webby3650
It was in nice condition. Tubes and firebrick were good. I cleaned it up, new gaskets and paint.
IMAG0015web.jpg

No, $500. It went to a Mom running a great non-profit. I had it listed for higher but most calls were lookyloos and not serious. Then we were in Colombia during November and I missed some sales. This lady needed heat and I loved what she is doing, so she got the stove. I got the stove for free so I didn't need to recover much.

No, $500. It went to a Mom running a great non-profit. I had it listed for higher but most calls were lookyloos and not serious. Then we were in Colombia during November and I missed some sales. This lady needed heat and I loved what she is doing, so she got the stove. I got the stove for free so I didn't need to recover much.
Good on ya! A good deal for everyone.

Only potential problem with door change is the draft control. The newer stove doesn't allow the same volume of air, so start up may require opening the door to get sufficient air volume. Might alsobe a problem if your drft is marginal, stove just won't get enough air. Consult Jotul USA on this one.