Jotul 602 N?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
The 602N appears to be a basic version. I am not familiar with it, if is an EPA model I think it should be a 602cb, ask if it has any other description on the UL label.

So...is there a difference between the N and CB? Confusing stuff. Looks like the N here is EPA/secondary burn, while in UK it's a slightly updated original 602?

Maybe just the door? Call and ask if it is the old spin wheel door or the lattice glass door. Confirm that it has the secondary rack.

Seller says the stove has secondaries. Here are pics from the ad. Seller confirms that the door is glass.

Attachments

• jotul2.jpg
    jotul2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,219
  • jotul.jpg
    jotul.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,747
Looks pretty clean on the outside. Did they provide any interior shots?

Consider it almost a CB, maybe a son of a CB. :)

no interior shots. i'm trying to figure out what to offer. missed out on a green CB for $250, which I think was a steal. I'm thinking $300 or so is fair...

here are some interior pics; owner says both side plates have hairline cracks. Don't look like a big deal, but will have to be replaced at some point...

Attachments

• P1010736_1.jpg
    P1010736_1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 3,917
  • P1010743_1.jpg
    P1010743_1.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,954
So I pulled the trigger, bought the stove and installed ($350 delivered). it's in great shape. Very fine hairline crack in the side plate, but no warping and otherwise super clean. Having a bit of a hard time burning it so far (I'll post if I continue to have problems, but I'm going to replace the glass gasket and seal the top plate first tomorrow).

Anyway, the answer to the question of the difference between a 602N and 602 CB? Not much, it appears. The sticker on the back says "f 602 CB" (see the very top), while the front has 602 N cast in.

Attachments

• IMG00049-20110211-1500.jpg
    IMG00049-20110211-1500.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,342
nola mike said:
here are some interior pics; owner says both side plates have hairline cracks. Don't look like a big deal, but will have to be replaced at some point...

I haven't looked at a 602CB interior in years, but I don't remember that twist to the secondary manifold. Have you stopped at a Jotul dealer to compare with a new model? That might be related to the burn problems. I would also pull the back heat shield if possible to examine the condition of the back of the stove. The rear labels looks like it might have gotten hot on the upper right side. Could just be age, but worth checking to be sure that secondary air wasn't leaking up in that corner from a warped manifold.

BeGreen said:
nola mike said:

I haven't looked at a 602CB interior in years, but I don't remember that twist to the secondary manifold. Have you stopped at a Jotul dealer to compare with a new model? That might be related to the burn problems. I would also pull the back heat shield if possible to examine the condition of the back of the stove. The rear labels looks like it might have gotten hot on the upper right side. Could just be age, but worth checking to be sure that secondary air wasn't leaking up in that corner from a warped manifold.

Eh, crap. You're right. Looks like that burn chamber is warped:
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/SubPage.aspx?spv_id=740475&spt_id=3

The stove looks real clean otherwise. Didn't pull the heat shield prior to install, but looked behind it and it looked ok. Where does the secondary air get fed from? I'll check out the manifold better tomorrow to see if the warp looks like it's letting air past it...

nola mike said:

Mike, I'm sorry to say but the inside of that stove looks like it has been repeatedly seriously overfired, so much so that several pieces have twisted and warped. Are you sure you want that? Even $100 would be expensive.

well, my mistake for sure. Got too excited and bought the thing. So it is what it is at this point. Replaced the window gasket, which helped immensely. At least it's burning predictably and like the old 602 now. But no secondary burn. I did a closer inspection on the stove today. Aside from the warped burn chamber, everything else looks good. Looks like the air chamber is relatively thin steel, whereas everything else is cast iron in the stove. So that might explain why it's in worse shape than everything else. There's no discoloration anywhere, the cast manifold above the air chamber is straight (not sure if this is 2 pieces, or if the chamber is integral to the manifold). We'll have some warm weather this week, so I'll see if I can take it apart further. But the secondary chambers, at least on the left rear, are allowing air in from the airbox. So that's the main problem. Questions:

1) How do I remove the air chamber? Looks like there are 2 bolts towards the front, that's all I see. Does that come off separate from the manifold above it? Do I need to remove the rear shield first?
2) Where is the secondary air supposed to be drawn from?

Looks like I'll need to replace the air chamber at least, but maybe it will be repairable (certainly doesn't look like it though).

Mike, you can download the manual from Jotul's website, page 25 shows the internal parts. I've never done a disassembly of one, can't help you there. You may have to contact Jotul for that info.

Secondary air enters at the rear of the stove behind the label holder. It goes up the inner channel (the vertically ribbed piece at the back of the firebox) and into the stainless steel secondary manifold, which is your warped piece. I'm not sure if the manifold can be replaced without disassembling the stove. Either way,
based on units I've seen, the factory does a pretty sloppy job in final assembly of the F602 - misaligned plates, gaps where there should be none, loose pieces. Please do it carefully and cement all seams inside and out, even ones you don't disassemble. Also, you might consider adding some air holes in the back of the new secondary manifold before putting it in. Look at my thread about F602 mods for details.

May I ask, why did you buy an F602? I predict that you will be unhappy with the F602 as a heater compared to your original 602.

Saw the manual, but I wasn't clear on whether it was one piece or not. There's definitely a gap between the rear shield and the steel manifold. So if I can straighten it somewhat, maybe place a little cement...we'll see.

Bought the newer version because
a) I like the glass door
b) I wanted something more efficient that pollutes less.

Running it now, I'm having no problem getting stove temps up the same as the old one, and it actually seems to light easier. Once I get the secondaries firing, well, I don't know what that will do, but I guess it should raise the temps a bit more. Firebox seems the same size; the manifold comes down at the back the same as the baffle did in the old one. Why would I be unhappy with the new model?

I owned both and found the newer one to put out much less heat. If you're happy with it, that all that matters.

Neighbors have been heating their little house for 3 years now with the 602CB and last I checked were still happy with it. But I'll ask again when I see them. The newer stove definitely burns cleaner when in good working order. I've learned this now that I am looking out at the stack on the old 602 instead of having over my head. Their stack is usually clear and mine often has a light wisp of smoke until at the coaling stage.

Ask a good Jotul dealer about disassembly. In your photo, the secondary manifold looks like it is just hanging on the bottom of the baffle. Have you tried removing the center bolt to see if it drops down? If not, I would try removing the baffle and see if it comes out with it. You could remove the side plates too and maybe drill a couple small holes at the start and finish of the crack to stop its progress.

OK, so did a little restoration today. Removed the manifold, which was just a piece of steel attached to the cast baffle with 3 bolts (only 1 of which I broke). I was able to wiggle it out with a bit of difficulty, but didn't have to remove anything else. I was able to straighten it out and reinstall. So when I started the fire, I got some secondary burn out of the rear tubes for a minute. After that, I didn't see anything from the holes themselves, but had that lazy appearing-out-of-nowhere flame in the middle of the box, which I think is a secondary burn. But not shooting out of the holes like on my other stove. 2 possible problems now:
1) Too much primary air. I replaced the gasket on the glass, but I think I probably used something thicker than stock. Even shut all the way down I get really active flames in the box. I think I'm getting too much through the airwash intake. What a goofy design.
2) Leaking between the manifold and the sides. While it fits snugly, the space between the manifold and the side plates is definitely not air tight. I assume that for this size leak, the effect is secondary air washing down the side burn plates, maybe acting more like a primary intake? I'm going to throw some cement on it and see what happens.

Here are some pics, you should be able to figure out what's what, since I'm not sure what order they'll post in...

Attachments

• IMG00054-20110213-1412_1.jpg
    IMG00054-20110213-1412_1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,512
  • IMG00053-20110213-1331_1.jpg
    IMG00053-20110213-1331_1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,409
  • IMG00052-20110213-1301_1.jpg
    IMG00052-20110213-1301_1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG00050-20110213-1259_1.jpg
    IMG00050-20110213-1259_1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG00051-20110213-1300_1.jpg
    IMG00051-20110213-1300_1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,384
Reactions: Trinity
Good goin', Mike. If you're not seeing air streams coming out of the holes, then the air is likely getting sucked out the edges and up through the gap around the sides. The manifold originally had cement all around the perimeter to stop the air from leaking.

precaud said:
Good goin', Mike. If you're not seeing air streams coming out of the holes, then the air is likely getting sucked out the edges and up through the gap around the sides. The manifold originally had cement all around the perimeter to stop the air from leaking.
Ah, that's what I thought. I cemented the back, I'll do the sides tomorrow. Can't believe that piece is $150! Glad I tried to fix it first. Also, saw your threads about the 602 mods, very interesting. Did you ever add rear holes to the manifold? And how do you remove the side burn plates? Looks like I need to drill out the rivets on the rear heat shield (and replace with what?), and remove the back burn plate to get out the upper baffle. Much harder than on the old model...

Unfortunately (?) it's going to be in the 70's this week, so may not get a chance to burn much...

Yeah, anything made from stainless is expensive, but that borders on ridiculous for such a simple piece. You should probably wire-brush the cast parts before cementing. Don't forget the front too. You want all of the air coming out of those holes.

Yes, I added some rear holes, I think it was described in that thread. The burn plates lift and slide out. If you drill the rivets out, just use sheet metal screws to hold it in place.

Hmmm....sealed it up, still no secondary burn. Only things I can think of are:
1) blockage in the secondary air intake
2) too much air through the airwash (would that do it?)
3) leak between the cast upper baffle and exhaust (at the seams), allowing secondary air to go straight up the chimney.

cant find the 602 mods thread can you post a link
did some searches still couldn't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.