Jotul 602B first fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fire Water

Oct 19, 2019
Buffalo WY
After guidance here I rebuilt a Jotul 602B I bought for $175.00 . Put new burn plates, insulating blanket disassembled re cemented all joints and new door gasket. Only painted the legs with high temp stove paint as the stove had a very nice patina that cleaned up nicely. We finally had a late September day it was cool enough to build a fire in the Jotul and learn how to run it.
What a joy of a small stove in the right application,small fire took right off in 30 minutes of slowly feeding wood until I had the flue at 300 degrees @ 18” above the stove.Kept it there for another 30 min. It had raised the room temp. from 62 deg.F to 72 . The stove had built up enough coals I could easily every 45 min. add a medium log and sustain a consistent flue temp. The retained heat kept the room and adjacent room @ 73 degreesF for the rest of the day and into the evening despite a consistent 50 degree North wind.
Needless to say I really like this little room heater a lot, I replaced a giant Comforter “Fireview” that would blow you out of the room and the house if you ran it where it was supposed to be ran.

Attachments

• 85083E3D-F01E-4B4E-924F-A22F8B721D2E.jpeg
    85083E3D-F01E-4B4E-924F-A22F8B721D2E.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Todd
It's a classic small stove and very popular. Note that the side clearance to combustibles (like the wood rack) for the stove is 24" with double-wall stove pipe.

Reactions: Sailrmike
Gorgeous setup! Personally, I don't keep fuel anywhere near my stove- sparks can fly pretty far.

It has been moved, it is not intended for that spot as I was finishing installing floor trim. I appreciate the concern , as a retired firefighter I am very aware of the transfer of heat.