Jotul 8 Chimney Size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GearHd6

Hearth Supporter
Jun 8, 2008
Northeast, CT
I just bought a mid 80's Jotul 8 with the wheel air intake on the door. The outlet on the stove measures something around 7". This will be a new install in my house so I need to install a Metalbestos chimney. I'm wondering what size chimney I should install. Should I go 8" and then somehow reduce it down to 7" going into the stove? Do they make a reducer to go from 8" to 7"? I want to install this chimney once and have some room to grow later if I want a little bigger stove. What do you pro's recommend? Thanks, Jeff.

I will let others weigh in on the flue size, which isn't supposed to be smaller than the flue collar on the stove, but reducers are available from eight down to seven.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u137331

Thanks for the link. The crimped end will end up going on my stove, will that be ok or does a smooth end have to go on the stove? If you can't go smaller than the stove outlet then an 8" chimney is probably the way to go for me? I see there is a 7" pipe also but that just seems like an odd ball size. 6" and 8" seem the most common from what i've seen.

Crimped end goes down, into the stove collar. That way anything dripping back down the pipe goes into the stove. Not out of the joint and onto the top of the stove.

Eight inch is more expensive than six inch pipe but I wouldn't do seven because it only fits one stove that I know of. Yours.

Are there a lot of stoves out there that use 8" pipe or are they mostly 6". I'm pretty new at woodstove installation so bear with me. My parents burnt wood as long as I can remember but I never knew the particulars. I don't think i'd want to go from a 7" stove collar to a 6" pipe, that seems like it'll choke the stove. Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it. Jeff

I think the #8 has a 175mm collar. There is an adapter. Check www.stovepartsplus.com for part WM-175R62B-JOT-ADAPT for 175mm to 6" or WM-175R82B-JOT-ADAPT for 175mm to 8".

The stove should draw ok with 6" if there is a good length stack on it (2 story), interior piping, straight up. If the flue has elbows and/or a horiz. run, or is exterior and only one story, then I'd go to 8".

I've only got a single story ranch and the stove will be upstairs on the main level so there won't be an excessive amount of pipe to get up over the peak of the roof.

Yeah I thought I had read somewhere that the #8 had a 175mm flue collar. It might have been on that website you sent the link to.

Would the 8" pipe be best seeing I don't have a real long pipe run do to only a single level house and the stove being up on the main level. Thats sort of what i've gathered so far. I just want to make sure before I make the investment in pipe and cut a hole in my ceiling and roof. Thanks, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.