Jotul 8 - Space Between Top And Body

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aeneas

Oct 4, 2021
Michigan
I just purchased a used Jotul 8 - late 80's - early 90's vintage, best guess. It is in great condition. The previous owner resealed the unit, replaced the glass, etc.

I reassembled it and using a flashlight inside the stove, I can see that there is a small space between the top and the body of the stove. It's a new gasket. This is my first Jotul stove. Is this normal for these Jotul 8's? I assume it should not have a gap, however small. Any advice on the proper way to seat and seal the lid is much appreciated.

Reactions: SimónBurguera
There should be no visible gap through which light can shine. Check for high spots in the gasket. Maybe try rotating the top 180 degrees to see if that is better?

Spun it around and put a lot of pressure on it. That minimized the gap to one short stretch near a corner. The gasket may be more worn than it looks. I'll start with replacing it and all the others while I'm at it. . Thank you for the advice.

Good rule of thumb in all Jotuls, when you take the top off for any reason, replace the gasket.

Reactions: EbS-P
Jotuls all have removable tops to facilitate cleaning. I read that this is a requirement for UK sales. This means that the tops are removed at least annually on many of their stoves. The top gasket should last several seasons. That said, I usually change all gaskets on any used stove. That resets the clock for the next replacement cycle.

Thank you all. I've never owned a Jotul so this is good information. What are you are your thoughts on sealing the connection between the stove pipe and wood stove with a gasket or stove cement? I don't plan on sealing it because draft should pull air in and not let smoke out, but again, never owned a Jotul (it is a rear vent)....

Stove cement tends to flake out pretty quickly. Try to get a good tight fit at the flue collar. If the gap is larger try with an uncrimped fitting or use some gasket material to fill in the gap.

Reactions: Aeneas
I just purchased a used Jotul 8 - late 80's - early 90's vintage, best guess. It is in great condition. The previous owner resealed the unit, replaced the glass, etc.

I reassembled it and using a flashlight inside the stove, I can see that there is a small space between the top and the body of the stove. It's a new gasket. This is my first Jotul stove. Is this normal for these Jotul 8's? I assume it should not have a gap, however small. Any advice on the proper way to seat and seal the lid is much appreciated.
Does you know if the exterior main panels are mounted with high temperature rope joint or high temperature joint putty? The door and the top of the wood-burning stove are assembled with high-temperature sealing rope. Thank you very much.

Rope for top plate and door. I can get you exact specs on the required rope. Just send me a private message.

Rutland Furnace Cement for the body.