Jotul Castine 400 top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleZ

Oct 18, 2007
Nassau, NY
Hello all-My first post here.

I have a Jotul Castine 400 (Double door) and recently moved it to my camp. I lifted it by the edges hanging over the top and one side of the top now lifts off the stove. Do I need to reseal this or is the top supposed to simply sit on top of the stove?

Great site by the way.

Dale

I have the same stove and yes, there are 2 bolts that hold the top down. I took the top off to remove baffle and cleaned the stove. I didn't replace the bolts and let the weight of the top rest on the stove. No problem burning all last season without the bolts. If you replace the bolts I would just tighten with fingers. Too cramped a space to try to use a wrench. Just my opinion.

Reactions: WarmBluthner
Welcome Dale. adrpga has is correct. While you have the top off, might as well clean it out. When putting the top back on, make sure the gasket is in good shape. Then place the top. Look at your stove from each side and carefully examine how the top is sitting on the main stove body. It should be square to the body on each side, level and parallel to the hearth floor. If not, adjust until it is perfect, then snug up the top bolts hand tight.

I got to the bolts from the front . You need to wiggle your wrist towards the side and you will feel the bolt head in the center of either end of the top. Although, if you have big wrists ( I don't) this may be a bit difficult for you.

My 13 year old son is built like a monkey so I will send him into the bowels of the stove when we go North this weekend

Thanks Again.

Dale

Wouldn't the ash pan be considered the bowels of the stove?just thinking out loud here.

To be able to lift one edge of the top, you may have broken the 2 fingers that the bolt runs through on that side (I hope not; you might need a new top!).
I had to take mine apart to set into place as it was far too heavy assembled. I found that turning my hand palm up, I could wriggle it into the space beneath the top to turn the bolts. I put a socket on it and gave it one full turn beyond finger tight - I hope I didn't overdo it!

One bolt undid itself and fell down the side of the stove and the other one my son was able to get a small socket on. We removed them and nothing was broken.

Thanks

We have a wonderful Quaker Stove, it has kept us as warm as possible in an old frame drafty house. We have replace a glass window once, I don't recall how or where I ordered it from. I can't seem to navigate this website, my search questions bring on a deluge of unrelated info and I really don't have all day to wade through it all. I would like to order replacement glass inserts to keep on hand, and the "insulating cord/rope" on inside of door. It is a sealer around the glass.

How do I ask for these items by parts name? Where can I order them from?

jawjahfay said:
We have a wonderful Quaker Stove, it has kept us as warm as possible in an old frame drafty house. We have replace a glass window once, I don't recall how or where I ordered it from. I can't seem to navigate this website, my search questions bring on a deluge of unrelated info and I really don't have all day to wade through it all. I would like to order replacement glass inserts to keep on hand, and the "insulating cord/rope" on inside of door. It is a sealer around the glass.

How do I ask for these items by parts name? Where can I order them from?

Please start a new thread topic for this item. It is unrelated to the current topic and you will need some stove specific help for getting these parts. It will get a lot better attention in a new thread. Basically you want the pyroceram "glass" and gasket for the window on this Quaker, but it will take removing the old one, making an exact pattern, and having one made for each side (if this is the Moravian).

Status
Not open for further replies.