Jotul Castine air regulator question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmaxer

Nov 18, 2020
Antioch,ca
BTW thank you guys for guiding me. Finished my install yesterday. Made my own bottom shield out of 22 gauge steel plate too.

It rocked. I'll post a pics soon of it all.
My question is the air regulation knob thingy whatever it is called.
Fully closed looks like in this picture.
I'm wondering if I need to open the mechanism and adjust it since fully closed as far it goes to the left it sits in the middle. As in the pic.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_20210112_195502484.jpg

BTW thank you guys for guiding me. Finished my install yesterday. Made my own bottom shield out of 22 gauge steel plate too.

It rocked. I'll post a pics soon of it all.
My question is the air regulation knob thingy whatever it is called.
Fully closed looks like in this picture.
I'm wondering if I need to open the mechanism and adjust it since fully closed as far it goes to the left it sits in the middle. As in the pic.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 271843
ON another note, when I go to the left all the way when at 550F, it will cool down properly. So I think it is fine...

You can take off the dog house air cover with the two bolts and see the control plate move to verify that it operating in its full range of motion.

evan

While the doghouse cover is off, vacuum out the area and then sprinkle some graphite powder as a lubricant for the slider valve.

Looking at the pic closer I’m guessing that your handle is bent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 87
Probably, I opened it up it is using full range. I wish I had the a place I can order the euro one. Even if I can't get it here directly, I got means. And thank you. BTW, I think you got the best color castine :)

Reactions: EbS-P
The handle easily bends. When rebuilding mine I must have bent mine upwards without noticing. When I went to put the door back on it wouldn't close without hitting the handle. I held my breath and bent it back down. I was afraid it would snap but it held up fine.

I looked into the euro plate. My first winter my wood was not dry enough. Now that I have dry wood I don’t see any need for it. Crack the door to get it started if I need too. I never burn with it wide open after I start it up.