Jotul Classic 3 B vent, Pilot won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

david99

Oct 31, 2014
CALIFORNIA
When we bought our house, it had this stove - which wasn't working at the time.

Hired a repair tech. At this point, stove has a new pilot assembly and new control valve.
After installing the new control valve, the (new) pilot would still not stay lit. He bypassed the vent switch temporarily, and that seemed to solve the problem in the short term. However, when I tested the actual switch with multimeter, it seemed to be working fine. Still haven't figured that one out, but at $7 - I figured I might as well replace it. Still waiting on the replacement vent switch to arrive.

Pilot was strong, and staying lit (with vent switch bypass still installed). Stove worked fine for a week, then pilot went out. I have been unable to get it to stay on again. It lights, but is weak, and goes out as soon as I release the control knob.

I am assuming debris in the line somewhere, but with new pilot and control valve, I'm not sure where to head next.

First I'd bleed the gas line coming into the valve& look at the connection port to make sure there are no debris in it.. Then I'd re-assemble the gas feed & carefully remove the pilot tube & orifice. Depress the "PILOT" knob & see if a decent flow comes thru the valve. Then I try using compressed air to clear the pilot tube. Lastly inspect the inside of the pilot orifice. Re-assemble & give it another go. Let us know how you make out...

Status
Not open for further replies.