Jotul F 100 Nordic QT - Rear vs Top Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering how changing from top venting to rear venting this stove will change things? The reason I ask is to give a bit more space on top for a cooking/warming surface. With a top vent and double insulated pipe, the rear clearance requirement is 8 inches. If it rear vents, does this change the clearance requirement (as obviously in a new install this would run the pipe closer to the wall)? Are there any lighting or smoking issues with this stove rear vented?

You have to maintain the proper clearances from the stove and the stove pipe respectively no matter which way it is run. The big difference is between top and rear venting is with rear venting you are adding in another 90 deg bend which will effectively reduce your draft/chimney height( i forget the calculations for that).

That's about what I figured. The stove will likely have about 12 feet of vertical pipe inside (cathedral ceiling), 2 feet of roof, and then another 12 feet outside to clear the nearby peak.

Anyone know what the required clearance is for a stove pipe? I can only find stove clearances listed.

Every pipe can be a little different, do you know the brand of the pipe, and a model if applicable. You said it is double wall, correct? I know rockford double wall black stove pipe has a clearance of 6 inches to combustibles.

Ah... gotcha. New to this whole stove world, so I didn't realize it was determined by the pipe manufacturer (which totally makes sense). I was googling for general clearance requirements without success. Pipe still to be purchased, so I'll have some options there.

That's about what I figured. The stove will likely have about 12 feet of vertical pipe inside (cathedral ceiling), 2 feet of roof, and then another 12 feet outside to clear the nearby peak.

Anyone know what the required clearance is for a stove pipe? I can only find stove clearances listed.
Single wall pipe will need to have at least 18" clearance from combustibles. Double-wall stove pipe needs at least 6" clear. With the long run of interior pipe, double-wall stove pipe is recommended to keep the flue gases hot and reduce creosote build up. The outdoor chimney will need to have two braces; one at 5ft. and 10ft. above the roof. With 26ft of chimney you should not have issues with smoking or trouble starting fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.