Jotul F 500 2014 Firebox possible issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Electrician

Nov 1, 2021
Winterport Maine
Hello all,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at my problem. While cleaning my Jotul F 500 stove for this season I pulled it away from the chimney thimble and saw this (see picture). The gaps that I circled go straight through to the firebox. They are about 3/8" at their widest point.

I don't understand how the airflow of this stove works very well, but it looks like this gap is giving the air/heat a direct path from the firebox to the chimney, so I'm going to lose a lot of efficiency.

Can I fix the gaps using a cement, or does this need more intensive work?

Firebox Gaps.jpg

Good eye. It looks like the baffle board is breaking down and is ready for replacement.

Reactions: Electrician
I'd at least stuff some rope gasket in the gap to stop leakage bypassing the secondary burn system and heading right up the flue.

Reactions: Electrician