Jotul F-500 V3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not a fan of down draft stoves, but the option to top load or front load, plus a cooking grate, though small, are and were nice options, as was the large ash pan.

Not a fan of down draft stoves, but the option to top load or front load, plus a cooking grate, though small, are and were nice options, as was the large ash pan.
Yes but the maintenance costs are pretty bad.

...because of the Harmon name. They got to big for their britches, as they say. Their pellet stoves are no different today and because of such high maintenance costs if I were in the market for a pellet stove, and I am not, they would be at the bottom of the list.

...because of the Harmon name. They got to big for their britches, as they say. Their pellet stoves are no different today and because of such high maintenance costs if I were in the market for a pellet stove, and I am not, they would be at the bottom of the list.
It had nothing to do with the name. It was crappy design and engineering on the woodstoves. Their pellet stoves on the other hand are pretty much the best around. Easy to work on and really don't take much work if they are maintained property.

Reactions: webby3650
You know there are those that want to see automation to remove user variables. We've discussed this previously.

Automation requires sensor (or user) input. For firewood-based woodstove operation, I could see temperature input used to mitigate overfire through control of air intake rates, though more complex automation would invariably require more (and different) sensor information

Those same regulations and restrictions have made stoves far better as well. And really if you compare inflation adjusted pricing before any regulations to now it really didn't add much cost
The price of stoves has gone through the roof in the last year. Most companies have had 3 price increases just this year! A small amount of the increase was 2020 compliance, the rest is from pricing steel prices.

Reactions: bholler
The price of stoves has gone through the roof in the last year. Most companies have had 3 price increases just this year! A small amount of the increase was 2020 compliance, the rest is from pricing steel prices.
Yes that is very true. They had gone up with steel prices a couple years ago as well. But we can't blame epa regs for that

And when you compare the cost to a furnace or boiler, they're still quite inexpensive.

Hello,

I was wondering if there was anyone that can help me here. We purchased the Jotul v3 Oslo March 2021. We installed it and used it a few times but this is our first full season so far.

It’s been doing really well but tonight I noticed my cat is starting to deform slightly. The right side of it is starting to bubble where the little “support” looking metal brace is.

I have 3 temp gauges on this thing and have been very diligent in following the guidelines using it. Making sure the ash pan is sealed closed etc.

5F7D9F9E-153E-443A-868C-CF7F8D84D6E7.jpeg

Hello,

I was wondering if there was anyone that can help me here. We purchased the Jotul v3 Oslo March 2021. We installed it and used it a few times but this is our first full season so far.

It’s been doing really well but tonight I noticed my cat is starting to deform slightly. The right side of it is starting to bubble where the little “support” looking metal brace is.

I have 3 temp gauges on this thing and have been very diligent in following the guidelines using it. Making sure the ash pan is sealed closed etc.

View attachment 291100

Dang I see that I have a cracked thing at the top just like this post has now.

The inside of my stove also appears all rusty color and that’s never happened before.

Dang I see that I have a cracked thing at the top just like this post has now.

The inside of my stove also appears all rusty color and that’s never happened before.
I would let the stove burn out and do a good inspection, take pictures and contact your dealer. Sounds like Jotul is making good on replacement parts.

I don’t understand why Jotul didn’t install a flame shield in front of the cat, those secondary flames getting sucked in can’t be a good thing even if the cat is steel? They should of used the same baffle turbulator design they did in the F45/55 IMO.

I would let the stove burn out and do a good inspection, take pictures and contact your dealer. Sounds like Jotul is making good on replacement parts.

I don’t understand why Jotul didn’t install a flame shield in front of the cat, those secondary flames getting sucked in can’t be a good thing even if the cat is steel? They should of used the same baffle turbulator design they did in the F45/55 IMO.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I got a project now.

Middle of winter ain’t great timing. Good thing we got heat pump heat as well.