Jotul F-500 V3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sad to see. I have a Jotul Oslo that I bought new in 2015 and it is a wonderful stove. I was skeptical about this new design because it is much more complicated.
Simpler is better than complicated.
I’ve had a few. 2 500’s, one blue black and one majolica brown. A 600, 602, 606, a few 118’s. Loved all of them. Almost enough to keep them ;)
They make quality stuff, I’m sure they will get it figured out and take care of the ones currently affected by the issues.

Reactions: Hoytman
When the big federal mandates came out in 1992 and 93, Jotul went over entirely to cats. Evidently they didn't like it because they went back entirely to non cat.
I wonder why they decided to change the venerable 500 back to cat.

When the big federal mandates came out in 1992 and 93, Jotul went over entirely to cats. Evidently they didn't like it because they went back entirely to non cat.
I wonder why they decided to change the venerable 500 back to cat.
It wasn't about them liking it or not. They simply didn't work well. Hopefully this is not a repeat of that

Jotul Guy, for the people out there with a V3, and shaking in there boots. How did they run that stove to do that much damage? Is it preventable? That looks to be more than a few bad parts.

I guess we will all know in a few years when Jotul reworks the design.

I do recall back in the 90's when the large Jotul were cats. And then they were gone when I purchased a 500 in 2000. Which is still in excellent condition.

Apparently no way to meet the fed guidelines without a cat. I guess.

Jotul Guy, for the people out there with a V3, and shaking in there boots. How did they run that stove to do that much damage? Is it preventable? That looks to be more than a few bad parts.

I guess we will all know in a few years when Jotul reworks the design.

I do recall back in the 90's when the large Jotul were cats. And then they were gone when I purchased a 500 in 2000. Which is still in excellent condition.

Apparently no way to meet the fed guidelines without a cat. I guess.
2020 Regs have been met without a cat for a lot of companies.
This stove was not ran inappropriately at all. Although I will say the owner reported that it was uncontrollable at times. I discovered with our burn display that the Ashpan appears latched at times, but isn’t.. allowing an overfire condition. I think that’s where the real issue may lay.

Jotul sent the parts under warranty, I installed them today.
What was the full extent of the damage? It looks like the right front corner has a large gap circled. Was there a problem found there?

What was the full extent of the damage? It looks like the right front corner has a large gap circled. Was there a problem found there?
The Cat came apart and ceramic board that lays on top of it split in two. That’s not a circle, it’s just where a pile of slag cement from assembly had been laying.

Reactions: begreen
I am one of those people with a new F 500 Oslo V3, and am planning how to perform the break-in. There are 3 break in burns, at 200F, 400F, and 500F.

1. Is that measured with the Combustor Monitor, or with a typical woodstove temperature gauge mounted on top?
2. If the latter, is the optimal operation of this stove on a regular basis contingent upon having a Combustor Monitor?

My stove did not come with a Combustor Monitor, though I don't see it listed as an option. Should it have been included as part of the install?

I am one of those people with a new F 500 Oslo V3, and am planning how to perform the break-in. There are 3 break in burns, at 200F, 400F, and 500F.

1. Is that measured with the Combustor Monitor, or with a typical woodstove temperature gauge mounted on top?
2. If the latter, is the optimal operation of this stove on a regular basis contingent upon having a Combustor Monitor?

My stove did not come with a Combustor Monitor, though I don't see it listed as an option. Should it have been included as part of the install?

UPDATE: The manual says, "The Jøtul F 500V3is shipped with the flue collar attached in the top position and the front ash lip and combustor monitor (thermometer)inside the stove."

Hence I have notified the installer of the missing component.

It's a shame stoves aren't regulated like cars, where a manufacturer can take their fleet average to comply with emissions regulations.
Called "cafeteria programs".

Reactions: webby3650
I’m sorry this happened. Both are known issues and have been resolved. Please contact whom ever is your tech/warranty representative and they will be able to get both parts out to you at n/c. With out diving too deep both parts pictured were found to be out of spec when received causing the issues you have pictured. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions or concerns.
How does something like this get past quality control?

The parts I installed looked nothing different than the old self destructed parts I removed. A few of the layers in the cat were already short of reaching the catalyst can. I put them into place, I’m betting it’ll be another call back…

Does anyone remember me voicing concern over this design? I was very curious what the replacement cost would be of all these pieces and parts along with the cat when it failed! That was yet to be determined.. It was stated that “it’s a known problem”. It’s the Vermont Casting plague all over again I’m afraid. Whatever it takes to get through testing, some make improvements, others just swear there’s no problem, insert VC here.. ;lol I really hope they can figure it all out. At best, it’s looking like a stove that the average burner will destroy to me.

Kind of interesting they got the F45 and F55 to pass emissions with the turbulator or whatever it’s called but not the oslo

Kind of interesting they got the F45 and F55 to pass emissions with the turbulator or whatever it’s called but not the oslo
Yes, that is a simpler and safer design. The F500 has a different shaped firebox and baffle design. By the sounds of it, they may need to go back to the drawing board for the F500 if they can't lick the issue. This is sad news. Jotul is selling just a small portion of the stoves they used to sell here.

Reactions: EbS-P
Too many regulations and restrictions have already killed many stove companies. When they are all gone it is too late to ask why “we” allowed them to be regulated out of business.

Reactions: Todd
The regulations were anounced 5 yrs in advance. Not many killed by them, but some have switched sales to pellet or gas versions of their stoves. This will get ironed out. It's unfortunate that the pandemic collided with this phase. That has slowed down everything.

Reactions: skyemoor
Too many regulations and restrictions have already killed many stove companies. When they are all gone it is too late to ask why “we” allowed them to be regulated out of business.
Those same regulations and restrictions have made stoves far better as well. And really if you compare inflation adjusted pricing before any regulations to now it really didn't add much cost

Reactions: skyemoor and EbS-P
The regulations were anounced 5 yrs in advance. Not many killed by them, but some have switched sales to pellet or gas versions of their stoves. This will get ironed out. It's unfortunate that the pandemic collided with this phase. That has slowed down everything.
Five (5) years in advance and Harmon couldn’t stay in the game.

Five (5) years in advance and Harmon couldn’t stay in the game.
Executive decision by HHT. Their wood stoves were not major sellers. They are still making pellet stoves which was always their strong suit. IMO, the bigger loss was Sherwood pulling Enviro out of the woodstove market. They still make pellet and gas, but the Enviro line of woodstoves was really nice.

Executive decision by HHT. Their wood stoves were not major sellers. They are still making pellet stoves which was always their strong suit. IMO, the bigger loss was Sherwood pulling Enviro out of the woodstove market. They still make pellet and gas, but the Enviro line of woodstoves was really nice.
I agree with you completely. Those Harman wood stoves were no loss. We don't see many enviro stoves here but the few we do seem to work well and look good

I’ll take your word for it and let it be.
I will say we will eventually (and may already be there) reach a point of diminishing returns from further tightening restrictions. Up to this point every step has improved stoves. And there certainly are good 2020 stoves. Only time will tell what it does across the board.

Reactions: BKVP
I will say we will eventually (and may already be there) reach a point of diminishing returns from further tightening restrictions. Up to this point every step has improved stoves. And there certainly are good 2020 stoves. Only time will tell what it does across the board.
You know there are those that want to see automation to remove user variables. We've discussed this previously.

Reactions: bholler