Jotul F100 Placement in Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emn

Hi -

I recently bought a house that came with a very nice little Jotul F100 stove installed in the old brick fireplace. It's placed pretty far forward on the outer hearth such that the door is just 2" back from the front edge of the wood floor, necessitating a hearth pad extension. Wondering if there is any reason not to move the stove back into the inner hearth and replace the rear flue exit with a top flue exit. The chimney liner is currently 16" behind the stove, such that if the stove was pushed back into the fireplace its top flue exit would line up with the chimney liner to give the required 18" of hearth clearance needed in front.

I've read online folks saying on one hand that a stove with top flue is more efficient than one with the rear flue, but on the other hand pushing the stove back into the fireplace would disrupt air flow and stop heat from spreading around the room. If possible, I'd like to move the stove far enough back that I don't need to use the hearth pad.

Appreciate any perspectives here! :)

0183F520-FEAF-4E15-8AAA-5D5B22D7AF17.JPG4FEB003C-633B-46A3-9421-773D862D1A54.JPG5430F6D1-5963-4D78-BA5D-0AFB2059CED8.JPG

Move it back. It should heat just as well.
It may take a little longer as it heats up the masonry.
If it doesn't seem to heat adequately, put a small box fan
where it can blow air towards the stove, in order
to get the heat to move around.

Reactions: jmb6420
I believe all you need is ember protection. Have you looked at any hearth rugs that may be more aesthetically pleasing?

I believe all you need is ember protection. Have you looked at any hearth rugs that may be more aesthetically pleasing?
Hearth rugs don't qualify as ember protection

Is there an insulated block-off plate in the damper area? There should be, especially when the stove is moved back.

Mine is out flish to the stone face similar to yours. My sales team recommended the rug. Its thin and seems to look presentable. I also have the heat powered fan on top of the stove to move some air.
16039306213638484990203916924180.jpg

If it was up to me, I'd keep it out extended into the room as much as possible, to ensure that most of the heat is out in the room. Fans are certainly an efficient way of moving the heat out into the room as well, but I would only want to go that route if it was absolutely necessary... just my $0.02 sense...

Begreen 's suggestion of a block offplate is also an absolute necessity from my perspective, as well. Good luck whichever wY you go, and please keep us updated about any mods.... cheers