Jotul F100 restoration questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jack3184

Nov 25, 2017
NC
Hi,

I've been restoring a Jotul F100 that had some minor rust damage. First, I found a lot of hard white solids along the internal seams of the stove -- in all the nooks and crannies. I assumed it was a buildup of creosote and chiselled a bunch of the stuff out. I'm now wondering if what I thought was cresosote might have been some sort of insulative cement designed to seal the panels of the stove. Does anyone think they know what this stuff is? (I attached 2 photos below - they are of the side panel leaning open)

Also, there is a small 2" break in the front plate (please see photo). When the door is closed, it will be behind the door, but still we are not sure what to do about it. We could leave it, or use some stove cement to join it back up (we still have the broken piece), or order a replacement part. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
Photo Nov 25, 1 03 03 PM.jpg Photo Nov 25, 1 03 28 PM.jpg Photo Nov 25, 1 58 48 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Creosote is black. The hard white stuff is Jotul's refractory cement. It's what is sealing the seams. I'm not sure if Jotul sells this material retail, but I think Hearthstone does.

Not sure if the broken piece could be welded. A stainless steel plate could be screwed in place to cover the gap.