Jotul F118 Blackbear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburner427

Nov 28, 2014
Tennessee
I am considering purchasing this stove. It supposedly meets my heating area needs, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that it does not have an ash pan. Does anybody have any experience or feedback for this particular stove? Thanks

If you have past experience with any Scandinavian style stove, (By Scandinavian style I mean a stove with an S flow that burns the wood like a cigar from front to back.) I wouldn't let the absence of an ash pan be a deal breaker. Just shovel some ashes out near the door every couple of days before you rake the coals forward. In this type of stove you must rake forward prior to reloading to ensure a proper front to back fire. Prior to the EPA stove era, the Scandinavian design was one of the most efficient. With more modern enhancements, I'm sure it will perform well.

Yeah my family has used the cigar style burning stoves for years and years, but they were older stoves without all the new technology and efficiency standards. I have zero experience with the new "efficient" stoves.

Is this a used F118 or a new F118CB?

I haven't run into a recent owner of this stove. It had problems when it first came out. In particular the secondary rack was prone to warp. Not sure if Jotul addressed and corrected the problem or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.