Jotul F3 CB door gap issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Greetings Hearthers, hoping for some help here from some of the seasoned burners:

I have a Jotul F3 CB (smaller front-loading stove). Even when turned down all the way it burns hot (500f or so) and fast, as there is a significant gap around the door.
The 'dollar bill test'? You could probably fit a stack of $6 bucks in singles through there!
I recently replaced the gasket around the door, using the specified 3/8" size, and it didn't help.
Here's the thing: The door handle jiggles and it seems like there's some play when you wrench it I and out. I'd love to slip another washer between the handle and the face of the door (outside) to try and shim it back to a tight fit, bit there's only a roll pin holding the handle on so I'd probably destroy the handle assembly if I took it off. Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with this model or similar Jotul models, or even some MacGyver ideas.
Should I re-gasket with a thicker size than 3/8", or should I replace the door handle assembly? I'd love to be able to repair/alter the stock handle that's on there to make it work...
Please help! I definitely don't want to start burning my oil furnace....

Does the door handle have a spring in the assembly?