Jotul f500 oslo brick replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take mine out every spring to clean out behind them. If you lift up on the brick the bottom can swing toward the front of the stove and come out. I'm not sure if its designed this way, but the only place I can get a brick out is from the right side. so I take that brick out first, then slide the next one over and take it out and so on. reverse that to reinstall them. I'm pretty sure they are a standard brick. You can probably get them at Home Depot.

I take mine out every spring to clean out behind them. If you lift up on the brick the bottom can swing toward the front of the stove and come out. I'm not sure if its designed this way, but the only place I can get a brick out is from the right side. so I take that brick out first, then slide the next one over and take it out and so on. reverse that to reinstall them. I'm pretty sure they are a standard brick. You can probably get them at Home Depot.

Thanks PhatD---worked like a charm...how tough to get the top off to vacuum it out?

Reactions: phatdonkey
Not too bad. I just did it last week. If you open the front door and look up, there are 2 bolts. One left and one right. There is also a 3rd in the back thats tough to reach. When I got them out, I left them out. The top is heavy enough to leave them out. I found it easier to take the center plate out to get to the back bolt. There are 2 bolts holding it on. One front and one back. You dont have to take them all the way out, just lossen them and swing the bracket that holds it to the main top and pop it out. Then the back bolt for the main top is easily seen and removed.

Mind your gasket when taking either of them off. The main top gasket on mine is lighly cemented into the lid. The center plate is just loose and needs to go back in the way it came out. So if you take the center plate off, take a picture to see how the gasket is laying there.

It might seem difficult from this write up, but it is incredibly easy.

This site is great and I have learned all I know about my own stove from the people here.

Phat

Not too bad. I just did it last week. If you open the front door and look up, there are 2 bolts. One left and one right. There is also a 3rd in the back thats tough to reach. When I got them out, I left them out. The top is heavy enough to leave them out. I found it easier to take the center plate out to get to the back bolt. There are 2 bolts holding it on. One front and one back. You dont have to take them all the way out, just lossen them and swing the bracket that holds it to the main top and pop it out. Then the back bolt for the main top is easily seen and removed.

Mind your gasket when taking either of them off. The main top gasket on mine is lighly cemented into the lid. The center plate is just loose and needs to go back in the way it came out. So if you take the center plate off, take a picture to see how the gasket is laying there.

It might seem difficult from this write up, but it is incredibly easy.

This site is great and I have learned all I know about my own stove from the people here.

Phat

Thanks, you've been really helpful.

. . .

Phat

And some of us are still learning . . . thanks for posting the tip about changing out the fire bricks. I don't have any cracked bricks, but I have thought some about cleaning behind the bricks and was wondering how to go about doing this.

How critical is it to vacuum out the top?
My Oslo is several years old now and it's never been done.
Hope I didn't just admit to something completely stupid!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how critical it is. I just do it because I'm anal about it. I know when I crack it open each year there is a good amount of ash on top of the baffle and blanket. Don't try to vacuum the blanket, its incredibly fragile. I just lift it out and very gingerly shake it., then i vacuum off the baffle and remove it. Being anal about it, i also wire brush the bottom of the lid and all the surfaces i can reach, then vacuum it all out and put it back together.

Again, not sure how critical, but I do it once a year.

Take the top off and find out...I just did for the first time in nine years and everything was good. As long as you've been burning dry wood and burning hot you should be good. Follow the excellent instructions from Phatdonkey above and you should be good.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Status
Not open for further replies.