Jotul F500 OSLO vs. PE T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CarolineCan

Apr 15, 2022
Saskatchewan
Hello fellow wood stove fans;

Thanks in advance for your input in helping a newbie out.

We are installing our first wood stove into our rancher. We are leaning toward the Jotul F500 Oslo but not sure if we want to pull the trigger because if the price (we are in Canada!).

The only location available is a corner in living room facing the open concept - living room, dining room then kitchen (back of the house is all bathrooms and bedrooms). 1200 sf top floor, basement unused and unfinished. We will continue using our diesel furnace for secondary heat source (getting more expensive by the day).

Where we live most of the (5-6 month) winter is between -20 and -50 degrees celcius (-4 to -58 degrees F), so its an extreme climate where survival is dependant on a constant, reliable heat source.

The stove is meant mainly for an attractive heat heater but want a back up cooking surface as well incase of power outage etc.

Because of the corner placement the side loading door will likely be unusable, is this an issue? I'm assuming I can load it from the front just fine. If anyone has input on wether it's worth the $500 dollars extra to buy the top cooking plate that would be appreciated. Seems like an excessive price for a steel cook plate....

The PE T5 is another one I'm considering, it's significantly cheaper than the Jotul where we live but I'd have to order it in and who knows how long that will take. Our wood stove dealer is strongly suggesting we go with the jotul instead of PE because of quality and durability. I like the price of the PE and the fact that it will be a great cooking surface without any added expense. But am concerned it won't last as long etc.

Quality heat source that is durable with cooking ability is our top priority.

Read up on the F500 V3. It has had some issues. It has yet to be seen if they have been corrected. There may a reason the F500 is still In stock. The T5 is a great stove. No catalytic converter. I’d wait for the T5 and if getting this year isn’t an option id get a cheap Drolet.

Reactions: bcrtops
Read up on the F500 V3. It has had some issues. It has yet to be seen if they have been corrected. There may a reason the F500 is still In stock. The T5 is a great stove. No catalytic converter. I’d wait for the T5 and if getting this year isn’t an option id get a cheap Drolet.
Thank you for the input. Other then this site, where is a non bias place to learn more about it?

I just made this decision, choosing between the same stoves. My climate is similar to yours, and we heat exclusively with wood.

I chose the PE over the Jotul. I didn't want the catalytic stove, which was the main factor for me. The catalytic converter is expensive to replace. The Jotul is a better looking stove and has a better ash clean out (I declined the ash pan for the PE). I do have a Jotul F3 downstairs that I use when we're below zero. After having the PE for a week or so, I can say it is easier to get a consistent, even burn out of it. The F3 is a different stove from the Jotul you're looking at, so maybe not helpful.

So far I am very pleased with the PE. Really, either stove will be a good one.

The Oslo is not the ideal stove for a corner install because the side loading door must be locked unless there is 16" clearance on the left side. The front loading Jotul F45 is also worth considering and a good stove.

I'm biased, but the T5 has served me very well over the years. Put your wood up now, so it has lots of time to dry. Both stoves are going to want very dry wood.

I'm biased, but the T5 has served me very well over the years. Put your wood up now, so it has lots of time to dry. Both stoves are going to want very dry wood.
Same here! Simplistic & ease of maintaining!

The Alderlea will burn 22% moisture wood ok. I just tried this last night. This was doug fir and the high oil content helps, but it burned surprisingly well. Our normal firewood is around 17% mc, but we are getting low on wood due to the record cold April temps so I did a test batch just in case this cold streak continues much longer. Sure hope not! It tries a gardener's patience.

Reactions: EbS-P
A few years ago there was a spring flood and my 3 year old oak washed out. I was able to secure white pine and was happy because it’d dry fast. Then we had a fall flood wash that out. I’ve put a bunch of marginal wood through the stove and with a little care it’ll run well and as clean as can be hoped for in such circumstances. I imagine it’s easy breathing nature really helps with the wet wood. It can evacuate the steam before it can condense! Lol

I have the Oslo V1 in a corner. It works well. I have the require minimum clearance. The side door just misses the wall, swinging 180 degrees. There is plenty of room for side loading. The side loading is much better the the front. V1 is non cat. Real tough stove.