Jotul F55 V2 Carrabassett or Jotul F500 Oslo V3 or Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thundermonkey

Nov 8, 2023
Central Ohio
Hello, I recently decided to get a stove set up in my house.

I have a 2,000 Sq ft 150 year old home, but with very decent insulation. Heating and cooling bills are always surprisingly low.

the fire place where the stove will be was built for coal burning (very very small) I need to have a stand alone stove in front of the existing fireplace that can run a rear exhaust pipe into a T.

The stove dealer recommended the Hearthstone heritage, but my concerns have increased looking at the Facebook reviews. I would love to have a set it and forget it stove under 5 K for the next 20 years if that even exists anymore (maybe I could buy soap stone from a quarry and sit it by the stove? lol)
I have seen the Jotul F500 V3 Oslo and F55 V2 Carrabassett are available at my dealer and can exhaust toward the rear. the F55 intrigues me because it's a steel box (less gaskets to deal with), I don't mind losing the tax credit if it means I have a stove for 20 years. that being said, I know people say the soap stone stoves save a ton of money in firewood due to the stone properties (is that make up for the "potentially" shorter life span of the stove ?). I have to buy my wood as well.

Do you have any recommendations, is the hearthstone good, am I over thinking this?
The plan is to use this primarily (90 to 100%) for as long as I live at the house. (I'm understand that this will actually raise my heating bills since I have natural gas, but it's a personal preference and a price I want to pay)
I would need the stove to do the following:
* Rear exhaust ( a must )
* Traditional look
* Longevity
Not have to replace parts every 5 or so years... I see stoves that ideally need parts changed every 5 years for 500 dollars and that seems crazy to me...
*burn over night so I can throw logs in after 8 to 9 hours of sleep
* under 5K for the stove as I'm paying a lot to retrofit this very old chimney that's cut off in the attic
* Ember protection hearth only Ideally
*Ideally not VC... but if the new ownership is good I will consider them... (I'm a worrier if you can't tell...)

Thanks all, so glad to find this awesome website, can't wait to sit by the fire in a rocking chair with my dog! I will send pictures once everything is decided on and installed early next year.

How high is the opening of the fireplace from where the legs of the stove will sit?

Of the that list I’d chose the F55

The issue is the width at 23 and 1/4" (the height is 27".) Additionally the firebox (where the fireplace starts angling in) internally is too small to allow anything bigger than a Jotul F 100 to sit on the hearth. Any stove will sit in front of the hearth instead, so that I can use any size stove. Once I know what I am getting, I might rebuild the hearth/whole fireplace face one day to accommodate a stove to sit on the hearth instead.

If anyone thinks of other stoves I can't think of, that would be super helpful!

Of the factors mentioned the F55 is lower maintenance. The key factor is the lintel height. Short legs can be put on some stoves, but that may change the hearth protection requirement. If the possibility of redoing the fireplace face and hearth, then consider the option of adding a thimble higher up to open up top venting stove options. While looking, check out Woodstock stoves. Most of them are able to rear-vent and many are side loading. The Progress Hybrid may work if the space can accommodate a large stove.

Is the fireplace room open to the rest of the house or separated by a door or hallway?

Reactions: EbS-P
Of the factors mentioned the F55 is lower maintenance. The key factor is the lintel height. Short legs can be put on some stoves, but that may change the hearth protection requirement. If the possibility of redoing the fireplace face and hearth, then consider the option of adding a thimble higher up to open up top venting stove options. While looking, check out Woodstock stoves. Most of them are able to rear-vent and many are side loading. The Progress Hybrid may work if the space can accommodate a large stove.

Is the fireplace room open to the rest of the house or separated by a door or hallway?
At the moment I do not know the lintel height, but would imagine it is short, and why they built the fireplace the way they did. thus why I'm playing it safe and putting it on the floor in front.

The fireplace is central to the house, and all of the doors are removed from each room downstairs. So, each room is a door width open. The staircase to the upstairs is in the fireplace room so it will vent heat up no problem. upstairs is exact layout as downstairs.

So not as efficient as an open concept.

Thanks for the extra recommendations.

Do you think the Jotul F 55 is too overkill for a 2K sqft house? I imagine, chocked all the way down, it would heat the house over night better, but I've heard choked down fires can be a risk.

Having a picture of the full fireplace and its dimensions is needed to further advise.

By the description, the stove may be heating mostly just the fireplace room and a part of upstairs. If so it may be more like 1200 sq ft being heated? If so, the F45 may be a better fit unless heat circulation to the other downstairs rooms is fan assisted.
Can you also post a floorplan sketch?

At the moment I do not know the lintel height, but would imagine it is short, and why they built the fireplace the way they did. thus why I'm playing it safe and putting it on the floor in front.

The fireplace is central to the house, and all of the doors are removed from each room downstairs. So, each room is a door width open. The staircase to the upstairs is in the fireplace room so it will vent heat up no problem. upstairs is exact layout as downstairs.

So not as efficient as an open concept.

Thanks for the extra recommendations.

Do you think the Jotul F 55 is too overkill for a 2K sqft house? I imagine, chocked all the way down, it would heat the house over night better, but I've heard choked down fires can be a risk.
The rear outlet in the stoves is about the same height as the stove itself. Check the manuals for a urinal height. they don’t sell the F100 new anymore. F55 short legs need 27 1/4” or taller.

E3D4CD8B-06CB-454E-B597-C509272F4E51.png

Having a picture of the full fireplace and its dimensions is needed to further advise.

By the description, the stove may be heating mostly just the fireplace room and a part of upstairs. If so it may be more like 1200 sq ft being heated? If so, the F45 may be a better fit unless heat circulation to the other downstairs rooms is fan assisted.
Please excuse, the house is under construction, and I am not an artist.

There is a jotul F 100 not installed in the location... just sitting there that I inherited but won't use... hopefully that gives you an idea of how small fireplace is.

and that Jotul is touching the back wall of the fireplace.

fireplace general dimensions W 23 1/4" H27" Depth 15" height from hearth to wood mantle is 45 1/4"

. The stove installers recommended the soap stone hearthstone since it would give off heat more gradually, being an odd layout. I do not mind using fans if need be. Based off what you guys see, are the hearthstones a shorter- or longer-term stove? If I'm paying 3.5 to 5K on a stove, I'd like to think I won't have to replace it for 10 years at least.... but the longer the better

my rough drawn picture is the downstairs layout and upstairs (they are exactly the same) pretty much 2,000 sqft on the dot
MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg

The rear outlet in the stoves is about the same height as the stove itself. Check the manuals for a urinal height. they don’t sell the F100 new anymore. F55 short legs need 27 1/4” or taller.

View attachment 318278
Totally understand. with the stove sitting in front of the hearth instead, I have another 2 to 3 inches of leeway too. So I think I should be good. thank you for bringing that up, I will measure when I get home just to be safe.

The other thing to consider, is that my insulation is really good. Someone installed Blown insulation many years ago and the R value is much higher than most houses, with closer to 2x6, being an old balloon framing house, which means lots of space for insulation. in the summer the AC doesn't kick on until 2 in the afternoon if it was cool that morning.

If you don't think a 1,800 sqft stove would be too little, I could consider the F 45 as well.

Take a look at the Jotul F45 too along with the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and their Fireview stoves.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have. I just didn't know if the F45 would be too small to keep the house warmish over a cold night. I'd like to be able to wake up to a fire so I don't have to light another. But I suppose won't don't get too many downright cold days in ohio. Maybe it's a better fit 90% of the season, and I just have to wake up a few nights out of the year to keep it going.

If you think the F45 could handle the house. I would for sure consider one. my wife likes the price of the F 45 :p

Are Hearthstones bad stoves in comparison to the woodstock? I like the look of both for sure.

Based on the insulation description it looks like the F45 will work well. It's a durable cast-iron jacketed stove.

Woodstock has a better reputation for durability and customer service. They sell direct to the owner. The soapstone construction is a more robust 2 wall design. Their hardware like hinges stand up better too. The new Hearthstone's and the Progress Hybrid have a catalytic convertor so there is that maintenance added. The Jotul is a simpler, non-cat design.

View attachment 318278
I am not sure that info is completely accurate. With the short leg kit and rear venting, the midpoint is 22 1/2”. I can confirm this as I have the F55 and short legs and have it rear venting due to a 27” height of my hearth opening. Not sure whether their documentation is off or what as here is a snippet when one searches for the F55 from Jotul that comes up in Google. Note the “no short legs”:

“The Jøtul F 55 may be installed into a masonry fireplace with a minimum opening height of 30 1/2” (77.5 c m). NOTE: There is no short leg option. DO NOT ALTER”

Only a couple of results below the above from Jotul is the short leg kit being offered for sale. Weird.

I have. I just didn't know if the F45 would be too small to keep the house warmish over a cold night. I'd like to be able to wake up to a fire so I don't have to light another. But I suppose won't don't get too many downright cold days in ohio. Maybe it's a better fit 90% of the season, and I just have to wake up a few nights out of the year to keep it going.

If you think the F45 could handle the house. I would for sure consider one. my wife likes the price of the F 45 :p

Are Hearthstones bad stoves in comparison to the woodstock? I like the look of both for sure.
You could go with the F55 and choose to do smaller fires when the temps dictate it and filler her up when the chill is on.

I heat essentially 1000 sq ft with my F45 in NW Wis. I rarely fill it to the brim and run it at the lowest setting probably 90% of the time. Would it work for your situation? I’m not 100% positive but I think it would be close.

If you look at the actual usable firebox volume on the EPA report the F45 2.4 cu ft, F55 2.8 and the F500 is around 2.5 as I recall. The stated sq ft heating area just doesn’t jive with the firebox volume if you ask me. There’s only so many BTU in each load of wood and those different firebox volumes are pretty close.

I heat essentially 1000 sq ft with my F45 in NW Wis. I rarely fill it to the brim and run it at the lowest setting probably 90% of the time. Would it work for your situation? I’m not 100% positive but I think it would be close.

If you look at the actual usable firebox volume on the EPA report the F45 2.4 cu ft, F55 2.8 and the F500 is around 2.5 as I recall. The stated sq ft heating area just doesn’t jive with the firebox volume if you ask me. There’s only so many BTU in each load of wood and those different firebox volumes are pretty close.
I see your logic.

So based off your idea, with more modern efficient stoves, it would be safe to run a slightly over sized stove, chocked down half way/low for the majority of the time? like the Jotul F 500 or F55?

At that rate would a Cat stove make more sense? Since in Ohio our winters aren't so bad. I see the F 500 Oslo V3 has a 20 year warranty on the cat (that seems unique) (and at full height with a rear exhaust should fit into my fireplace). I know a Cast iron stove isn't as fail proof as a steel stove with cast iron around it. But I hear really good things about Jotul across the web... has anyone else run the Jotul F500 Oslo v3 longer term? and if so, are they finding this to be the case? the other reason I learn toward the F 500 is because they are such a pretty design as well.

Thanks!

I see your logic.

So based off your idea, with more modern efficient stoves, it would be safe to run a slightly over sized stove, chocked down half way/low for the majority of the time? like the Jotul F 500 or F55?

At that rate would a Cat stove make more sense? Since in Ohio our winters aren't so bad. I see the F 500 Oslo V3 has a 20 year warranty on the cat (that seems unique) (and at full height with a rear exhaust should fit into my fireplace). I know a Cast iron stove isn't as fail proof as a steel stove with cast iron around it. But I hear really good things about Jotul across the web... has anyone else run the Jotul F500 Oslo v3 longer term? and if so, are they finding this to be the case? the other reason I learn toward the F 500 is because they are such a pretty design as well.

Thanks!
Read up a bit on the v3 there have been issues with it and I wouldn't be confident they have it worked out. Also the 20 year warranty means nothing more than you get your first one replaced. If used full time you will need a new one every 3 to 5 years. Unless they haven't fixed the issues then it will be much more often

I see your logic.

Thanks!
Yes as long as your setup is within manual specs and your burning dry wood you should be able to burn at a lower air setting in fact that’s where most people will run their stoves and they are most efficient as well at the lower to medium settings.

The F500 is a great looker for sure but there have been some reported issues here with the new V3 and since it’s a relatively new stove the verdict is still out.

Read up a bit on the v3 there have been issues with it and I wouldn't be confident they have it worked out. Also the 20 year warranty means nothing more than you get your first one replaced. If used full time you will need a new one every 3 to 5 years. Unless they haven't fixed the issues then it will be much more often
Gotcha, I will keep that in mind!

If used full time you will need a new one every 3 to 5 years. Unless they haven't fixed the issues then it will be much more often
I think this is going to be an expensive replacement part and possibly hard to get 5-10 years from now. My cynical guess is that a lot of these stoves will be burning without the cat by then.

Reactions: EbS-P and bholler
I think this is going to be an expensive replacement part and possibly hard to get 5-10 years from now. My cynical guess is that a lot of these stoves will be burning without the cat by then.
I.agree completely

Good to know.

But otherwise, the current Jotul line up (F45, F55 as mentioned before) you think are a little more, tried and true and less likely to have issues?

my real goal is to have a stove that I don't need to work on a ton too over the next ten years, ideally much much longer... I don't mind the occasional leaky ash pan... or replacing the glass once in its life... it just seems like these new Hearthstones... VC, and others need frequent work done. or complete reworks... I don't remember ever even thinking of fixing the wood stove I grew up with, which was a cheap tractor supply model from way back...

In comparison I haven't seen near as many complaints about this jotul compared to the hearthstone... Just my perception though...

(edits for context)

But otherwise, the current Jotul line up (F45, F55 as mentioned before) you think are a little more, tried and true and less likely to have issues?
Definitely. These stoves have a conventional design that has been out for a long time. Fewer parts and simpler maintenance. The prior F500 has this style secondary combustion system.

Just an FYI when planning. Short legs are only approved on Jotul stoves for use on masonry fireplace hearths, not on hearth pads in front of the fireplace hearth.

Short Leg Kit - #157636 This kit includes four, 4 1/4” steel legs which allow stove installation into a fireplace opening height as low as 26 1/4”. Approved only for code-approved, masonry fireplace hearth mount installation.

Last edited:
Well if you have the F100….. it’s a good room heater add a blower down on the floor (make sure you have a lock off plate). Short burn times but it’s hard to beat the price that one;). (It’s small it’s not a whole h use stove). But I bet you could sell it for 1000$ now if it’s good shape. I wouldn’t pay that much but there are not many small stoves like that in the market now.

Look up in the manual and see how you have to disassemble the F45 to clean it. If it’s rear vented to a T is probably an every other year thing. If it’s top vented and pointed inside the fireplace it would be a PITA.