Jotul F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
So it's been quite awhile since I've posted here. I've been running the Jotul F600 for four years now and haven't had any earthshaking news or problems. My question now is this; is anyone running the Jotul F55? I don't believe this stove was around when I installed my F600. I think the F50 TL was on the market at that point and that wasn't a stove I was interested in. I'm not super serious about replacing my F600 unless there is real world evidence that the burn time is significantly longer or the heat output is significantly higher for the F55. Jotul specs. on both stoves are very similar, but the edge goes to the F55 on both burn time and BTU output. I'm also interested in the "feel" of the heat from the F55. It is a welded steel stove with a cast iron "jacket" and has a partial firebrick lining. I went to my local Jotul dealer and looked at one in person, now i just can't shake the feeling, if you know what I mean.

One big difference will be that the F55 can be loaded N/S. That means a fuller firebox with no worry about logs rolling against the glass. The cast iron jacket does impart a very different heat than the highly radiant F600. It is softer, more buffered. The castiron jacket will store heat and release it slowly as the fire dies down. The change from heating our house with the F400 vs the cast iron jacketed Alderlea was notable. We felt it with the first overnight burn. There is less house temperature swing with a cast jacketed stove.

Thanks Begreen, like I said, I'm not super serious about this, but I'm going to do some more research.